Strings make a noise when lifting finger

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Strings make a noise when lifting finger

Postby HoosierInFL » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:40 pm

This happens on both of my dulcimers. An example would be: I'm fretting the 6th fret (or any fret). When I lift my finger off the string, it makes a noise similar to a whine. It's not really noticeable on faster songs, but it absolutely ruins a song like Silent Night. I've tried fretting softer, harder, and everything in between. It must be something I'm doing wrong, but I just don't know what it is.
HoosierInFL
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Strings make a noise when lifting finger

Postby KenH » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:57 pm

When we get together, I can take a look at what you're doing, and how, and see if I can see what's going on.

--Ken
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Re: Strings make a noise when lifting finger

Postby harpmaker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Sometimes a whine or twang type of sound can be caused by the string vibrating on the far side of the nut or bridge. What happens is the string is either not properly seated in the slot or the slot has worn out. So when you pick the string it not only vibrates between the nut and bridge but beyond them as well. To see if this is happening, damp the offending string on both the area between the nut & tuner and the bridge & the string hitch pin, then try playing it to see if the sound goes away.

You can damp the string by sticking a small bit of cloth under it, put a capo across them, or if you have a friend around, have them just put their fingertips on top of the strings in those areas.

Hope this made sense
harpmaker
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area