what type of pick

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

what type of pick

Postby thecowgirl » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:56 pm

Is there a certain type of pick that is best used for a mountain dulcimer? I took a class recently and borrowed a dulcimer from the teacher and it had picks with it already. I found a used one that I bought, but it didn't have any picks. What is the difference in picks? thanks
thecowgirl
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: what type of pick

Postby GrantOlson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:15 pm

I'd say that the main differences are the thickness, size, and pointiness. (If that's a word!) It's really up to you as to what you want to use, but if it's bigger it will be easier to hold. Also, if it's on the thicker side and it's really pointy it may scratch up your fret board.
Grant
GrantOlson
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby KenH » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Picks, like noters, are one of the great dulcimer "collectables". Everyone accumulates picks of many shapes, sizes, thicknesses and materials.

Beginners tend to like thinner picks, while more experienced players find greater control with thick picks and different techniques. Some folks like fist-filling picks, others like smaller ones. Most like plastic, with or without ridges or holes for firmer grip. Some of us use wood, bamboo or feather 'plectra' (long rather than round strummers). I even have a pick made from "vegetable ivory" from the Ivory Nut Palm of Pohnpei island.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:15 pm

My two favorite picks for mountain dulcimer are a Herdim blue (3 points with a circular center of with raised ridges to enhance the grip) and a V-pick (large pointed ultra-lite). I also use a variety of other picks, but those two are my favorites.
Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Titus2woman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:05 pm

My favorite picks right now are the ones I cut from Blue Bonnet butter lids. They are thicker than other butter lids, and I cut different sizes of triangles and teardrops. I bought some I really enjoyed but lose them too easily! ~think little fingers, too~ :)
Titus2woman
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby asterhunter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Personally, I prefer a thin pick, with lots of flexibility, especially with strumming chords.

David E.
asterhunter
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby joe sanguinette » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 am

if you want more volume and less pick flap try a pick made of delron
joe sanguinette
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area