Am I on the right page?

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Am I on the right page?

Postby mikeduddy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 am

Hello I just wonder if I am on the right page . I just built T M B . Is this the same thing? I am new to all this , Is there a page for the T M B ? Thank you.
Mike
Last edited by mikeduddy on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeduddy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Am I on the rite page?

Postby Robin the Busker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Mike,

There's no page for TMB on ED but you are most welcome to post any questions here as a few of us are familiar with playing the instruments in the traditional style with noter and quills or bow.

Robin
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Am I on the right page?

Postby mikeduddy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you for the reply. It was most helpful.
Mike
mikeduddy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Mike -- a Tennessee Music Box is just one of a dozen more or less standard shapes of dulcimer. You can ask any questions about TMBs in any of the appropriate sections; as Robin says there's no TMB specific "page".

How new are you to dulcimers in general? If you're pretty new, you might want to check out my article here called I Just Got An New Dulcimer, Now What? It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms, plus answers to many beginner questions about the tuning, playing, care and feeding of your dulcimer (regardless of shape).

Special Revised - I Just Got A.docx
(1018.43 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

We'd like to see pictures of your new build. Start a new discussion, perhaps in the Building section, so we can see how you've done.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby mikeduddy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:05 am

I would like to post a photo, how do I do it? I can tell you about it, I made it from cedar, poplar, and pine. The deck and bottom at cedar, the sides are pine and the bow and stern are poplar. (some boat building in there).I don't see any place where I can put a photo in.
Mike.
mikeduddy
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:55 pm

The image (photo) should be on another site like Photobucket. Above the Post A Reply box is a series of small boxes. The ninth box from the left is the Img (photo) link is where you insert the URL link to the photo. If I recall correctly, you can not attach photos in the reply window.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby NoGear » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Ken,

I just read your article " I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What? - Great read and perfect for my students!

I teach a course for the Osher Lifetime Learning Institute - Non-profit educational programs for persons 50 and older. (In other words, I volunteer my time) It's called " History of the Mountain dulcimer. I was wondering if I could print and include your piece in my class. :D

Thanks,

Mark Stricklett
Athens, GA.
NoGear
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 am

Mark -- sure, use away. Here's a PDF of the "new revised" edition of the article, with even more useful and interesting information:

Special Revised - I Just Got A.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area