Sweet Wood's Student String Recommendations

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Sweet Wood's Student String Recommendations

Postby HD-Luers » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi y'all,

I'm HD, I'm from Eastern Iowa. New here and excited to be joining the ranks with y'all. Have been lurking for some time. Just ordered my first dulcimer from Dave Lynch, his student model. He was great to work with. Looking for some string recommendations on what some of ya'll are using and finding sounds the best. As far as my playing goes, I believe I'll be mostly, noter playing and as far as the type of music mostly tradional type stuff so I'd like keep it as warm as possible. Thank you kindly.
HD-Luers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Sweet Wood's Student String Recommendations

Postby KenH » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Ask Dave. But I think he uses 22w or 24w for the bass, and either all 12s or 12/14 for the Melody and Middle Drones as his basic setup. Strings, to a certain extend depend on what tunings you're going to use commonly. I have mine strung with a 20 plain steel for the Bass, and 11s for the melody/mid because they were what I had handy. I tune Ddd, not DAA or DAd.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby HD-Luers » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:28 pm

KenH wrote:Ask Dave. But I think he uses 22w or 24w for the bass, and either all 12s or 12/14 for the Melody and Middle Drones as his basic setup. Strings, to a certain extend depend on what tunings you're going to use commonly. I have mine strung with a 20 plain steel for the Bass, and 11s for the melody/mid because they were what I had handy. I tune Ddd, not DAA or DAd.

I didn't think about that. DAdd, I think. Thanks for the info.
HD-Luers
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:09 pm

I think Dave will supply information on the strings with your dulcimer. Have fun playing and do not be afraid to try different tunings; especially if you are playing noter style. I really like my Sweet Woods student dulcimer. I'm on my third. I keep losing them to people interested in a quality inexpensive dulcimer.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area