Differences in tuner results

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Differences in tuner results

Postby damselfish » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:41 pm

Hello to all,

I am a new player from Missouri and have been lurking for several months. I ran across a problem that I wonder if any of you have seen.

I have been using a Seiko SAT501 electronic tuner, and I currently have, or at least I thought I had, tuned my dulcimer to CGC (that's 3C, 3G, 4C with octave numbers).

I also have a Kliq Metropitch and I decided to go ahead and try it out this week.

Lo and behold, the Metropitch tells me I am in DAD. Sadly, it does not show octave numbers.

I have tried this multiple times and it always comes out the same.

Any thoughts on this?

I know that there's the common dulcimer thought that if it sounds OK, go with it, but this is really bugging me. It seems like I should be able to trust two tuners to recognize the same note at the same time.

The other odd thing is that I found the dulcimer very hard to play in what the Seiko called DAD, very taut strings, very hard on my fingers. I tuned down to CGC to make it less painful, but now I'm completely confused about the key I'm really playing in. Maybe the Seiko is just messed up and I was previously even further up: EAE?

Thanks,
Damselfish
damselfish
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Differences in tuner results

Postby DrJ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:40 am

Hi Damselfish,

I am surely no expert on this type of thing but I would suggest two things. If you have already checked these please feel free to disregard this message and do not take offense. First, are both tuners set to read a chromatic scale? I know on the my Kliq and my Korg, you can choose chromatic or some other instrument such as guitar or ukulele. Second, are they both using the same "A" reference range? Some tuners can use a range of A as a tuning reference, say between 410 and 460. Most of the time I use A=440 on all my tuners.
DrJ
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Skip » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 am

Check your tuners against the C/D on this. I double checked with my tuner and it was correct to the computer speaker.
http://www.ababasoft.com/music/music01.html
Skip
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Check the batteries too. Old batts can give false readings..
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby damselfish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:46 am

Thank you to all who replied. I got caught up in some other life stuff and wasn't able to get back to this, but now I will check out all the suggestions and see what I can figure out. Thanks again!
damselfish
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area