Question on how to read a tablature on here

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Question on how to read a tablature on here

Postby irasmith » Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 pm

There is a tablature on here, Beautiful Star of Bethlehem that I am having a little trouble understanding the tablature layout for and thought I would ask about it here. I am used to the standard DAD layout and the tablature in question has both DAD and DAA. What I don't understand about this tablatures layout is the top line is A, the next line D, the line after that D, and the final line A.

Is the first two lines the DAD layout where the bass D is presumed open and therefore only the A and melody D are listed?

I ask about this because I am relatively new to dulcimer playing and tablatures and I truly do appreciate all the work this group of talented folks do to put together such a large arrangement of tablatures, I am just having a little bit of trouble reading those laid out in this fashion and want to learn how to do it properly.

Many thanks,
Ira
irasmith
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Question on how to read a tablature on here

Postby Steve Smith » Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Yes, it looks like he just left the bottom D off of DAd and the middle A off of DAA, and you would let them drone. What's there works fine for both the DAd and DAA versions as the melody.
Steve Smith
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Judy K » Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 am

I used the ED arrangement to create a strictly DAD arrangement, with a few changes, in 2014. You are welcome to try this version if you like.

(If this violates any copyright, the moderators are welcome to remove this.)
Attachments
Allegro 2007b - [Beautiful Star of Bethlehem (MD).pdf
(49.78 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Judy K
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby irasmith » Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies and I truly appreciate them and found them very helpful :D
irasmith
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area