twang on double d strings

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

twang on double d strings

Postby Preacher Tom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:13 pm

My double d strings twang or vibrate and it makes a terrible sound. I'm thinking that they are hitting a fret. Why don't the other strings do the same thing? How do I fix this problem? I am a little afraid to start filing a fret. Help!!!
Preacher Tom
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: twang on double d strings

Postby KenH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Is it BOTH melody strings, or just one? First thing I would do is slightly slacken the melody couplet, and re-tighten them, paying careful attention to the way the strings are seated in their respective slots.

If the strings are hitting a fret, you should be able to tell which one. If a fret was set a tiny bit too high at the melody end, that would cause the melody strings to buzz and not the middle or bass drone strings. This can be checked with a straight edge
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am

Tom
Some other items to check might be:

1. If your dulcimer has a zero fret (similar to the picture), the strings might be loose in the nut (wood with slots after the zero fret) either because the slots are too big or the strings don't angle down to sit tight in the nut.

2. If you find a fret is too high per Ken's suggestion, you may be able to file the fret. If the fret is sticking up (like it hasn't been tapped all the way down), it might need to be tapped gently with a hammer.

3. If number 2 above doesn't appear to be the problem, the bridge might need adjustment. One method is to add material in the string slots to raise the strings. One person repaired one of my guitars many years ago by putting epoxy glue in the slot and then recutting the slot. A method I have used is to raise the bridge entirely by putting material under the bridge (raises all of the strings). I have used picks cut into thin strips, newspaper, or wood to raise the bridge.

Best of luck finding the problem

Dave
Attachments
Mountain_Dulcimer_Bridge.jpeg
Mountain Dulcimer Bridge
Mountain_Dulcimer_Bridge.jpeg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Zero_Fret_Dulcimer.jpeg
Zero Fret on mountain dulcimer
Zero_Fret_Dulcimer.jpeg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 453 times
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)