Jewish songs for campfire

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Jewish songs for campfire

Postby jazzc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm putting together a song book of dulcimer songs for a campfire singalong for children and adults. I would like to include Jewish songs that are easy to learn to play. [English translations] I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!
jazzc
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Jewish songs for campfire

Postby dholeton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Jazz

Steve Smith made a tablature file for Ma'oz Tur and it is in the tablature section here on ED in DAA and DAD tunings.

Also, Richard Farina wrote Swallow Song and it mostly uses the melody from Los Bibilicos and/or Tzur Mishelo Akhalnu. The melody can be played by starting on the 5th fret (without extra frets). It can also be played from the 2nd fret if the dulcimer has a 6+ fret. Attached is an mp3 file I had on my computer with just the melody being played on a DAA dulcimer starting and ending on the 2nd fret.

The lyrics for Swallow Song can be found on many websites and here is a link to one of them.
https://genius.com/Mimi-and-richard-farina-a-swallow-song-lyrics

Dave
Attachments

Swallow_Song_DAA_2nd_Fret.mp3
[ 546.84 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]
Swallow Song a. k. a. Los Bilbilicos and maybe Tzur Mishelo Akhalnu
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Steve Smith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the mention, Dave. It also made me realize that although the name of Ma'oz Tzur is right on the tab, I spelled it wrong in the tab posting here on ED. I'll have to edit it and also replace the midi file with one of the mp3 files I have of it.

Until I get it updated, all of the versions are up on the WNCDC website at wncdc.org/Tab_Index.php.
Steve Smith

Postby asterhunter » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:39 am

If you are still monitoring this thread, check out "Zum Gali Gali" in the current issue of Dulcimer Player News (vol. 43 #3).

David E.
asterhunter

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area