Where to after....First Lessons ... Joyce Ochs

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Where to after....First Lessons ... Joyce Ochs

Postby Aussie70 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi, have been working through book “First Lessons Dulcimer” by Joyce Ochs. I should say slowly working through.
Can you recommend for me a lesson book that I can use to take me further. Remembering total beginner and 70 with no musical experience at all...this has been a challenge to get this far.
No chance of lessons I’m afraid...I am in Australia plus in the country...even if I was to find someone.
I have accessed many videos which I find useful, but would like a book with perhaps on line audio.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don’t mind going back to the start if advice is so.
Will be in States in two weeks. Yeah! Hopefully buying 2nd dulcimer whilst there to leave till next visit and for my grandchildren.
Thanks
Aussie70
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Where to after....First Lessons ... Joyce Ochs

Postby Judy K » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 am

Aussie, I also used the Joyce Ochs book and felt it was great for beginners in DAd. What I did next was not lessons but just finding tab books with music that I liked, usually including at least one that was above my skill level. Shelley Stevens has a series of "Baker's Dozen" tab books that are good for chord/melody playing. She also has free tab on her website. (The link is just to the tab books; more is available on the main page.) For my more challenging books (as a beginner), I picked Larry Conger's Hymns of Faith and Christmas Duets for the Mountain Dulcimer, both written basically in DAd in a flat-pick style of chord/melody. Just learning to play songs that I love in the style I find most interesting worked for me. Lessons are hard to find in my area, too.

If you tell us what particular style of music (genre, playing style, etc.) you want, someone can probably point you in the right direction. Sorry I don't have any idea about teaching books ... old-fashioned hymns, Christmas and Celtic music are my main loves.

A warning, although I've been playing since November, 2006, I don't claim to be a great player -- just enough to please myself, the family and friends -- so take my advice with a grain (or two) of salt. :-)
Judy K
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Where to after....First Lessons ... Joyce Ochs

Postby dholeton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 am

Aussie
You can browse through the Tablature section here on Everything Dulcimer and if a Tab file has a "LISTEN" icon, clicking the icon will provide a midi or mp3 sound clip of the tune. If I hear a tune, I can decide if I want to learn to play it and also learn while playing along with it. For example, check out Steve Smith's "Barbra Allen".

Also, Madeline McNeil has a book "You Can Teach Yourself Dulcimer". It comes with a CD and has many of the tunes that are played by dulcimer players.

https://www.melbay.com/Products/94304EB/you-can-teach-yourself-dulcimer.aspx

Best of Luck learning to playing and acquiring more dulcimers.
Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area