Best Books/ Instructional Material to use with 5 and 7 yo

Talk about what great instruments dulcimers are for young musicians

Best Books/ Instructional Material to use with 5 and 7 yo

Postby bdwvr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 am

Hi, my children have really taken to the md dulcimer, to the point we are buying one for me to use and for Christmas I am planning on buying a Harpmaker Student Model for my 7 yo daughter so that my 5yo son can have our Cardboard dulcimer all to himself.

Which books/instructional materials would be best used with the 5 and 7 yo set? We don't have instructors available, but we want to keep learning.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Thx, Mary
bdwvr
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: Best Books/ Instructional Material to use with 5 and 7 yo

Postby kwl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:11 am

I like Mara Washburn's Complete Children's Dulcimer Method from Mel Bay. Here is a link to the book.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bdwvr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for this, I will get this one next. If anyone else has suggestions I would truly love to hear them. Has anyone used the new one with the color learning method?
bdwvr
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Sarah Morgan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Lois Hornbostle has a book that is written just for kid players, although I have never read it.

When I was about the age you are talking about the best way I learned wasn't from any book. It was one-on-one, personal, caring instruction from a very lovable lady. To me, there is no better way! :D
Sarah Morgan
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby bdwvr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:25 am

Sarah Morgan wrote:Lois Hornbostle has a book that is written just for kid players, although I have never read it.

When I was about the age you are talking about the best way I learned wasn't from any book. It was one-on-one, personal, caring instruction from a very lovable lady. To me, there is no better way! :D

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for the answer and we have the Horbostel book, we are finishing it now and I'm lovable enough but a newbie to md just like my kids, we are learning together in the middle of the Arizona desert.
bdwvr
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Sarah Morgan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, I didn't say a lovable expert now did I. ;) :D (And I mean that in the most respectful way.)

Would this site be of any help? http://www.dulcikid.com
Sarah Morgan
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby mdforchildren » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:35 am

Hi - my husband has authored a book for teaching children. It's entitled, "Mountain Dulcimer for Children (and the young at heart), The Color and Play Method". You can visit our website to learn more about it. We have sold many copies of it and continued to get very positive feedback from parents and grandparents using it with their children and grandchildren. Our website is: www.mountaindulcimerforchildren.com
mdforchildren
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Lois Hornbostel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I think you're lovable, Sarah.

Backyard Music (manufacturer of the famous cardboard-body dulcimers and kits for children) publishes my mountain dulcimer playing method for children called THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER. It comes from my experience, not just as a teacher of adults, but learning how children learn after teaching approximately 19,000 of them in arts-in-schools residencies since 1984. Typically, the children I have taught are from ages 5 through 11 or so. I'm proud of this book. It avoids some of the pitfalls our older dulcimer players find themselves in, like just playing in one tuning.

THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER can be ordered from me or from the Backyard Music website, http://www.backyardmusic.com/Dulcimers.html .

Lois Hornbostel
http://www.LoisHornbostel.com
http://Dulcimerville.com
Lois Hornbostel
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby bdwvr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi Lois,

We are just finishing up your book now and we're looking for our next adventure. You should hear my daughter play your arrangement of Oh Groundhog and Waterbound. I love it!
bdwvr
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Lois Hornbostel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:22 pm

bdwvr wrote:Hi Lois,

We are just finishing up your book now and we're looking for our next adventure. You should hear my daughter play your arrangement of Oh Groundhog and Waterbound. I love it!

Glad THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER has worked well for you. I hope sometime I get to play "Groundhog" with your daughter!

Lois Hornbostel
www.LoisHornbostel.com
Lois Hornbostel

Re: Best Books/ Instructional Material to use with 5 and 7 y

Postby southernmiss » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Lois Hornbostel wrote: Backyard Music (manufacturer of the famous cardboard-body dulcimers and kits for children) publishes my mountain dulcimer playing method for children called THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER. It comes from my experience, not just as a teacher of adults, but learning how children learn after teaching approximately 19,000 of them in arts-in-schools residencies since 1984. Typically, the children I have taught are from ages 5 through 11 or so. I'm proud of this book. It avoids some of the pitfalls our older dulcimer players find themselves in, like just playing in one tuning.

THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER can be ordered from me or from the Backyard Music website, http://www.backyardmusic.com/Dulcimers.html .

Lois Hornbostel
http://www.LoisHornbostel.com

Hi, Lois, I'm not a kid :lol: , but I am young at heart. I classify myself as a beginner, although I've been playing the MD for about two years now. I've fallen into that pitfall you mention - playing in just one tuning - DAA (mainly because that's the only tuning my group will use). I want to expand my wings, so I think your book will be a good one for older folks, too. My main question is about tuning my dulcimer from DAA to DAd. Do I lower the melody A to d or raise it? Or do I just need to buy a second dulcimer and dedicate it to DAd (am I looking for an excuse)?

Thanks,

Lee
southernmiss

Re: Best Books/ Instructional Material to use with 5 and 7 y

Postby Lois Hornbostel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey, Lee!

One adult lady who told me she learned a lot from THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER suggested it should be described as "for children - and for adults who don't like to be intimidated!"

The common traditional tunings for mountain dulcimer would be:

Bass string: D below middle c on the piano
Middle string: A a "fifth" higher than the D on the bass string

Then you change the note on your first string (or strings if you have two strings tuned alike for your first 'string').

For basic Major or Ionian tuning the first string would be tuned to the same A as the middle string.

To get from that to DAd tuning you just tune your first string/s UP 4 notes to d, which is an octave above the D that's on your bass string.

Lots more details can be said, but these should get you going fine. THE CLASSROOM DULCIMER has more tips.

All the best,
Lois Hornbostel
Lois Hornbostel

Next

Return to Dulcimers and Kids