Kids on Hammered Dulcimer

Talk about what great instruments dulcimers are for young musicians

Re: Kids on Hammered Dulcimer

Postby LarryV » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:43 pm

OK... we've put together a medley of some simple arrangements that he can handle -

1. "Ashokan Farewell" - once through the A & B Parts.
2. "Simple Gifts" - Thanks to Dan for the arrangement / video lesson in his online Dulcimer School
3. "Hedwig's(Harry Potter)Theme" - (should be a big hit with the Elementary School crowd.)

We'll work on embellishments after he gets them down.
LarryV
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby MaryColgan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:58 pm

That is SO exciting! please keep us posted on his progress!
MaryC
MaryColgan
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Sharon Gartley » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm glad to find this thread and would love to hear some addtional suggestions, tips, specifics, resources, etc., for teaching children hd. A family at church has asked me to start working with 2 of their daughters. Our first lesson is next Tuesday.

Sharon
Sharon Gartley
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby The Mousetrapezoid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:03 pm

So what happened? Larry, did your son perform all those tunes at his April concert? Mary, does your granddaughter have her own 12/11 now and is she still as enthusiastic about learning to play? Sharon, what advice can you share after working with the two girls at your church? Inquiring minds want to know! I've got great-nieces and a great-nephew who are in the age range you guys are talking about, and I'm looking for ways to ignite their interest in folk music generally and maybe in learning an instrument such as the HD.

By the way, my 7-year-old GN (Great-Niece) loves the CD of my friend's harp music and is clamoring for more... a good start!
The Mousetrapezoid

Postby MaryColgan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

My GD just turned 7yo... she would *like* her own dulcimer at home, but her mom has other ideas...(not enough room for one here)... so, she continues to play once a week when she comes to visit. She knows about 12-15 songs in various stages of learning...but, she has definite interest in learning *more*!!
MaryC
MaryColgan
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby The Mousetrapezoid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Very cool, Mary. Looks like the HD has become a significant part of the special time your GD spends with you. I bet she'll remember it fondly. (And it's so much healthier than making cookies together! :D )

Hey, wait a minute -- weren't you going to go to Evart and perhaps take the GD along? Isn't that fest already under way?
The Mousetrapezoid

Postby angler8lb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am

Oh the story an seeing him play that beautiful instrument in front of all them parents and visitors was something to behold. I at times struggle to keep at it on my HD but also at the same time embrace the challenge and hope some day to be able to play several songs from memory. My hope is that all the kids who show an intrest in the HD or MD that there is someone out there to take them under their wings and and take the time to show them the ropes (or chords in this case) of a very special instrument that sings the sweet sounds of bygone days, a time when life was tough but also a time to relax and enjoy the company of others at the end of the day. Thank you for the video.
angler8lb
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Sharon Gartley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:36 am

The "resurrection" of this thread prompted me to update you on the young student I mentioned in my previous post. She started taking lessons last January and is doing wonderfully. She was 10 when she started and is now 11 and in the 6th grade. This is a little clip from our Christmas party the other day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1sZ0A1YLo

Blessings!
Sharon
Sharon Gartley

Postby MaryColgan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Our g'daughter is continuing to play her HD. She actually talked her mom into letting her take it to *her* house, instead of having to play it at our house all the time - she has a notebook with songs that she can play already - and some others she *hopes* to learn. I'm guessing there's about 10 songs she plays now - we have been taking her along to our local dulcimer/acoustic jam sessions - she has been having fun playing along (I think the group seems to like playing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with *her* too. :lol: Of course, I have lots to teach her - but, she seems to take "long breaks" of interest from learning NEW songs - she enjoys just playing what she already knows. I think Old Joe Clark is her current favorite.... I don't have any updated pictures to share - soon.... :-) MaryC
MaryColgan
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Dulcimers and Kids