free dulcimer for child

Talk about what great instruments dulcimers are for young musicians

free dulcimer for child

Postby northwindrise » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Is there still a program for getting dulcimers to children that otherwise can notoabtain them. For example, underprivailaged children. I have a dulcimer that I would like to get rid of and feel this may be the best way to dispose of it. It is not high quality but is playable.
My wife would like me to get rid of one dulcimer before I purchase another.
Please help. I want my new one!!!!!
Mike
northwindrise
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: free dulcimer for child

Postby Shape note singer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Great idea. There is someone with a student ( an adult) who is looking for an inexpensive instrument. Maybe you could work something out?

Look under Mountain Dulcimers for sale for an entry from Celtic Echoes, who wrote:

"One of my students is 90 years old and wants something cheap to play around on (just for her own enjoyment). I had some cardboard dulcimers for teaching children and they sounded just fine, but all have sold. I'd like one that's already put together since this lady will not be able to do that. I can get them put together from the company I got the others but just wondering if anyone out there has one cheap. Or even a wooden one as long as it's cheap and still has a pretty good sound. Thanks!"
Shape note singer
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby southernmiss » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I am trying for find inexpensive (or free) dulcimers to use to teach a class to seniors at a retirement home. My group plays there regularly, and several residents have expressed a desire to learn to play. Their income is limited, so buying one is a big investment for them to make (especially not knowing if they can play one or not).

Thanks,

Lee
southernmiss
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby celtic.echoes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

I'd be interested in the dulcimer if you still have it. My student is 90 years old and doesn't want to spend much at her age. (Someone posted my ad to you above).
celtic.echoes
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 am

Everyone: I realize I'm responding to you ten months down the road. However I do want to set you and other readers straight.

Gail Knapp was one of the founding members here at ED, and dedicated a lot of her effort to helping people in her part of Oklahoma and elsewhere learn the joys of playing MD. When Gail passed away, the members here at EverythingDulcimer created the Gail Knapp Memorial Dulcimer Fund, administered by Harpmaker Dave Lynch. The program accepts dulcimers to be distributed free to "deserving individuals", as well as money to aid in the repair and refurbishment of donated dulcimers.

Southernmiss - the Gail Knapp Fund is aimed at individuals not groups, sorry...

Contact Dave at Harpmaker@SweetWoodsInstruments.com
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Dulcimers and Kids