"Andyland" - Product Review

Don't forget to list them in the Clubs, Events, or Links areas.

Postby Strum-Numb » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Previous information can be found here: http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33010

Andyland is a Music CD by Andy Robinson 2017

First of all, I think it was pretty brave (or confident) of Andy Robinson to offer a free trial of this product. The postage paid on this item was $2.62, not counting the package or contents. To get this into my hands, set him back a few bucks out-of-pocket, with no assurance of any return on that outlay.

Shipping: The item arrived in perfect condition through USPS First-Class Mail, delivered right into my hand by my local carrier. Delivery was prompt; surprisingly quick considering the remote location where I live. (Even Amazon takes an extra day or two to get stuff out here.) It came packed into the standard bubble-wrap envelope that you would expect for shipping a CD.

Packaging: The packaging is attractive. It is colorful and fun; the graphics are professionally done. The credits and content of copy are exactly what you would expect from a professionally designed product.

Content: The mastering and mix of this production are top-notch. Very well done; I believe they captured the essence of this project and laid it down perfectly.

This volume consists of 15 tracks featuring a wide variety of instruments, “found sounds”, and although it is predominantly an instrumental offering, there are some vocal bits as well.

Total run-time is about 38 minutes.

I wouldn't want to categorize or stereotype the music, but if I were pressed to do so, I'd simply call it “World Music”. That based only on the wide variety of instruments and styles; this offering defies definition. It is not rock or blues or pop, or any one style necessarily. Although a track titled “Blues in the Valley of the Moon” is definitely blues flavored, with some non-blues percussion... Perhaps African-influence meets India with a Harmonica; one of my favorite tracks.

Andyland is a wonderful mix of very pleasing and interesting pieces. This would be appropriate as backdrop for a dinner party, or in the mix of a soundtrack for any social gathering. It is soothing enough to play while hobbying or crafting, interesting enough to play for pure enjoyment, and complex enough to engage the senses.

Overall Impression: This is a well crafted product. Very enjoyable, and has earned a spot in my short-stack of CD's that I cycle through for my everyday, casual listening.

The only thing I would change if I could, is that I wish it were longer. 38 minutes is fine, but I could go on listening for another hour. This is a very pleasing and interesting CD, well worth adding to your collection.

Some of the instruments appearing on this CD include: Dulcimer of course; electric, acoustic and bass varieties. Guitar; bass, electric, acoustic as well. Stand-up bass. Variax, keyboards, kalimba, tuba, harmonica, pianet, autoharp, fiddle, trumpet, stylophone, piano, timpani, french horn, steel drum, accordian, various other percussion and “other” instruments. Including pots and pans, basset hounds and coyotes, and a 1967 Datsun station wagon. Native American Flute is very nicely interwoven within many of the tracks as well.

Thank you,
- Tony

P.S. - This is not a paid or compensated endorsement. In fact, it's going to cost me $10. :shock:
It really is a very nice product; I'll be sending Andy his 10 bucks.
I'm really enjoying it; very glad that I took him up on his offer. Thanks Andy!
Strum-Numb
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: "Andyland" - Product Review

Postby Andyrobinson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Thank you, Tony! Appreciate the review.

Any other takers?

33 views of my original post and only 2 people wanted to check it out?

Come on, folks, live a little! Start the year with some new music! ;)

Andy
Andyrobinson
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Strum-Numb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm

You are very welcome Andy. I have truly enjoyed this opportunity.
Please be sure to send my regards along to your graphic artist, engineer, and the other folks that play on this album.
What a wonderful project, and excellent execution.

Good stuff. Give me a holler when you cut your next album; I'd be first in line to check it out.
- Tony
Strum-Numb
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Andyrobinson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Hey Tony, it will be a while before the next one, but you can certainly look up Andyland's two predecessors on CDBaby.com, Exotic America and Music Bucket. They don't come up on the Andyland page yet, but they are both available on CDBaby if you search for one or the other. That way you'll get more than 38 minutes!

Take care,

Andy
Andyrobinson
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Dulcimer Announcements