Free Tab for August 2017 - "It Is Well With My Soul"

Don't forget to list them in the Clubs, Events, or Links areas.

Free Tab for August 2017 - "It Is Well With My Soul"

Postby Tull » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 am

Hi all,

I've just finished posting this month's free tab on my website Eagle Creek Music. This month's tab is in honor of my father, William H. Glazener, whose birthday was August 3, 1917. He passed away in 2010, just shy of his 93rd birthday. Up until just a few weeks before his passing, Dad had always enjoyed great health. He was still living independently in the same house where we grew up, still driving, doing his own yard work andplaying golf in the summer, and shoveling his own driveway in the winter (he lived just outside of Buffalo, NY). He was also an avid hiker. In the summer of his 90th birthday, he had taken a trip out to Oregon to visit friends and do some hiking in the mountains out there. When he got back, I called him to see how he was doing. "I'm fine, just a little stiff and sore" was the reply. When I asked whether that was the result of all that hiking, he said "No, I think it was the kayaking that did it"!

For those interested, here is a link to a letter I wrote to Dad after his passing, which was read by the minister at his memorial service: Letter to Dad.

Dad retired from his job as a contract administrator at Bell Aerospace Systems in 1988 after more than 45 years of service, and took up woodworking as a hobby. The first thing he built was a beautiful cradle for my sister and her husband when their first baby was born. I took one look at that, and knew he would be able to build dulcimers easily. I started sending him books on how to build dulcimers as his Christmas and birthday presents. He took the hint, and started building instruments. He also attended several week-long dulcimer festivals with me where he enrolled in classes on how to build dulcimers. Today, the instruments he made are among my most prized possessions.

I spent most of the time during those final days in the hospital sitting by his bedside playing dulcimer. He had lots of "favorite tunes" - practically anything anyone would play for him would become his favorite tune. But he especially loved the old hymns which he had grown up hearing in the Black Branch Baptist Church in Chase City, VA. In honor of that, and the fact that August 3, 2017 marks the 100th anniversary of his birth, this month's tab is a 2-part arrangement of one of his favorite hymns, "It Is Well With My Soul". Click on this link to download an mp3 file of the 2-part dulcimer arrangement.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the hymn performed by country music duo Joey and Rory:

It was written by hymnist Horatio Spafford following a series of tragedies in his life, including the death of his son to scarlet fever in 1870, financial ruin due to the destruction of most of his real estate holdings from the great Chicago Fire in 1871, and finally the loss of all 4 of his daughters in a shipwreck while crossing the Atlantic in 1873. The words were his response to the grief he endured from such great tragedies, and continue to serve as a comfort to all those who mourn. It has been paired with a tune written by organist and composer Phillip Bliss called "Ville Du Havre", named for the ship that Spafford's family had been traveling on.

This is a 2-part arrangement, so find at least one other playing partner, and enjoy.

Peace.

--Tull

Tull Glazener
"Plays Well With Others"
Attachments
whg_army_1944_reduced.jpg
William H Glazener - 1944 - member of Army Air Corps
Tull
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Dulcimer Announcements