Free Tab for March - "My Wild Irish Rose"

Don't forget to list them in the Clubs, Events, or Links areas.

Free Tab for March - "My Wild Irish Rose"

Postby Tull » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi all,

I've just finished uploading this month's free tab arrangement on my website, Eagle Creek Music. “My Wild Irish Rose" was written by American singer, actor, producer, and song writer Chancellor "Chauncey" Olcott (born 1858 in Buffalo, NY). He was a first generation Irish American, whose parents had immigrated to the U.S. from Killeagh, County Cork. He traveled to London as a young man to study singing, and upon his return to the United States, began a theatrical career as the leading tenor in many of the sentimental operettas depicting Irish themes that were popular on Broadway at the time. He also proved to be a talented composer and lyricist, writing complete scores to a number of Irish musicals including "Sweet Inniscara", "A Romance of Athlone", and "Old Limerick Town".

His songs captured the mood of his Irish-American audiences by combining melodic and rhythmic phrases from traditional Irish music with melancholy sentiment. Some numbers from his musicals became very popular, such as "Mother Machree" from Barry of Ballymore, and "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" from The Isle o' Dreams. He composed "My Wild Irish Rose" for his musical A Romance of Athlone, and it quickly became his most popular composition, and has withstood the test of time. The title was suggested by his wife Margaret, who during a visit to Ireland some years earlier, had been presented a flower by a young boy. When she asked him what it was, he replied that it was "... a wild Irish Rose". She suggested the phrase to her husband when he was trying to come up with a new song title.

After Olcott's death in 1932, his wife wrote and published a biography of his life titled "A Song in His Heart". In 1947, Warner Brothers produced a movie of his life based on that biography, and titled it "My Wild Irish Rose".

The song has become a traditional standard in the barbershop quartet repertoire, and is also often sung during St Patrick's Day celebrations in the U.S.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of a barbershop quartet arrangement sung by the "Barbershop Polecat", Julien Neel

This is a 3-part arrangement (melody, harmony, and bass), so find a couple of playing partners and enjoy!

Wishing you all a Happy St Patrick's Day!

In music and friendship,
--Tull

Tull Glazener
"Plays Well With Others"
Tull
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Dulcimer Announcements