Modern Country Tab

Share tidbits of dulcimer history, or history of the songs we play on them

Modern Country Tab

Postby Riverman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:14 am

I have a tape from David Schnaufer where he plays "I'm So Lonesome I could cry".I was wondering if anyone know's if he came out with his new songbook with country music tab in it, or if anyone knows where you can find modern country music tab. I do have the Beatles, any other modern music tab out there?
Riverman
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:38 pm

If you find anything, let me know too. I would love to get my hands on country music for the dulcimer. I have wondered about the David Schnauffer book also as I have his tape. There is an address at the end of the tape, but I haven't written to it and I can't locate anything about it on the internet. I have only been playing for a few months and I'm not real good at tabbing out my own. People say you can take fake books and make your own. I need someone to show me how. Good luck in finding your music. I will be watching your replies to see what you find out. Tami

Postby missy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:00 pm

the only book I know that David has published is "Swing Nine Yards of Calico" with these songs: Wildwood Flower (DAD) Wildwood Flower (Flatpicked) Liberty (DAD) Rickett's Hornpipe (DAD) John Henry (DAD, Capo 1) John Henry (Variation) Wayfaring Stranger (DAD, Capo 1) Swing Nine Yards of Calico (DAD, Capo 1) Wild Rose of the Mountain (DAD, Capo 1) Breaking Up Christmas (DAD, Capo 1) June Apple (DAD, Capo 1) Greensleeves (DAD, Capo 1) Blackberry Blossom (DAD, Capo 1) Blackberry Blossom (Variation) Ebenezer (DGD) Santa Anna's Retreat (DGD, Capo 1) I Wonder as I Wander (DGD, Capo 1) Although he was giving a workshop in country music two years ago. David's health has not been good, and he's not been doing festivals for the past year and a half. As for country songs - if you are singing, you may not need to play the actual notes for the song - you could just play the chords. We have a handout for beginning students that show the notes on a music staff and the corresponding fret on a dulcimer tuned DAd. Tom will try to get this chart up on our website sometime this weekend (we've got open house at school this weekend, so we'll be busy cleaning tomorrow, and hosting on Sunday). We'll let you know when it goes up. It should help you figure out where the notes are for a song if you can get ahold of sheet music for it. Missy
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:22 am

I haven't seen any new books by David either. All the places that carry his stuff only have Swing Nine Yards of Calico. Perhaps his ill health has pushed the project back.
Last edited by kwl on Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:54 am

I love David's playing, but I didn't know he was sick. What's wrong with him? Hope nothing that will keep him from playing the dulcimer. Frown

Thanks To All

Postby Riverman » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:45 am

Thanks to all for your response. I love David Schnaufer's style and I hope his health improves as well. If anyone runs into any of those types of tab, please reply. I am going to check out the Strothers site. I may give that a try, but unfortunately I am not the musician I would like to be. Too bad my musical abilities are not growing as quick as my building abilities.Rolled Eye Does anyone know where you can purchase the one book that David has out?
Riverman
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby kwl » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:07 am

Riverman, try Kerry Anderson at Gila Mountain Dulcimers. She lists it on her Web site www.gilamountaindulcimers.com or at Melody's Harp Shop www.folkharp.com where it is also listed.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to History of Dulcimers and Songs