Question: When was Stanley Hicks at the White House?

Share tidbits of dulcimer history, or history of the songs we play on them

Question: When was Stanley Hicks at the White House?

Postby dbennett » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm

I know Ralph Lee Smith played at the White House in May 1978.

The other day Lois Hornbostel told me that Stanley Hicks also played at the White House, but she did not remember when. If any of you know I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Lois also said of Stanley Hicks, "He was a very entertaining performer and was a hit playing at the White House in D.C. and Gilley's country music hall in TX."
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Question: When was Stanley Hicks at the White House?

Postby Banjimer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm not so sure that Stanley Hicks met a serving President of the United States. Both Stanley and his cousin, storyteller Ray Hicks, were awarded National Heritage Awards in 1983. According to Ray Hicks in one of his biographies, when he and Stanley received their awards they met with then Vice-President George H.W. Bush because President Ronald Reagan was out of town. Bush invited Ray and Stanley to come back anytime to sing their songs and tell their stories. Ray described Bush as a really nice fellow.

George H.W. Bush would be elected president five years later in 1988, but at the time Stanley and Ray met him he was not yet the President.
Banjimer

Postby dbennett » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Greg. With your info I did find a little more
https://www.arts.gov/honors/heritage/year/1983
dbennett

Postby Banjimer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 pm

The story of Ray Hicks going to Washington, D.C. with his cousin, Stanley Hicks, to receive the National Heritage Award can be found on page 188 of "The Life and Times of Ray Hicks: Keeper of the Jack Tales" by Lynn Salsi.

"In 1983, me and Stanley was invited to Washington, D.C. to the Smith-a-sonian to win a $5,000 prize. It was called National Heritage Fellow. It was good. I got to see Orville and Wilbur's air ship at the museum. They set it up for us to meet the vice-president of the United States, cause Ronald Reagan was out of town. That Bush feller was nice to us and invited us to come back anytime and tell him stories..."
Banjimer

Return to History of Dulcimers and Songs