An Interesting Dulcimer Experiment

Just share stories or offer advice

An Interesting Dulcimer Experiment

Postby rtroughear » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 am

Hello all

I had cause to modify an early dulcimer, and took the opportunity to confirm something that I had suspected for a while. The dulcimer was not a particularly good one, but passable - OK as a giveaway, but not to sell.

Following on from the Soundboard Braces thread, I've uploaded a couple of files: a video to YouTube and an mp3 sound file.

Have a listen to:

Tramps&HawkersD13PT.mp3
[ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 10391 times ]

then have a look at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1SlIXc6zxw

The audio content is the same on both, but the video file was recorded on a digital still camera and the sound quality is poor. The mp3 file was recorded with a low quality mike, but closer.

For those interested we can discuss what this might mean after you've had a listen and look.

Richard T
Last edited by rtroughear on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
rtroughear
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Thud » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:07 am

Okay, that kinda floored me. It's awfully convincing proof. I'll wait to say more until other people have heard and seen it.
Thud

Postby highnoonhunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, vewy interesting!

hnh
highnoonhunter
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Martin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 am

That is pretty amazing. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I think why I find this so interesting is I play guitar. And in the guitar-playing/building world, so much emphasis is placed on the top of a guitar. The back and sides of the guitar are also important, but from what I've read, many claim that 80% of the guitar's "voice" comes from the top. This is why so many lower-end guitars, although laminate sides and back, have a solid top.

With this said, I realize that guitars and dulcimers are not the same instrument. Both are built quite differently. I still find the video VERY interesting.

Thanks for sharing!
Martin

Postby paul c » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am

What a clever and interesting and . . .well, shocking demonstration. When you started. . .well I won't spoil the effect for others.

I think what you've demonstrated is that you can use the material you did for a top and get a dulcimer. (And I did see braces running side to side,perpendicular to the fretboard, didn't I?) This isn't too surprising, since there are dulcimers with cardboard tops _and_ backs that sound pretty good. It doesn't say a great deal about what other possibilities might be available through manipulations of the top.

Somehow, this discussion has spun in an either/or direction that makes me uncomfortable. I'd like to re-state that I consider top bracing and non-bracing pretty optional--there are wonderful dulcimers made using both approaches. I've simply found that with the instruments I make, bracing plays a significant role--and I put it higher on the list than those who don't use it and haven't experimented with it.

One further thought I had while thinking about this topic--most dulcimers share more commonalities than differences. I tend to gravitate toward the maybe tenpercent difference in sound that distinguishes one dulcimer from another--and one builder's instruments from another builder's instruments. It's when approaching the small segments of the total sound that that makes instruments unique that these variations in structure and building techniques become important, I think.

Thanks again for a really remarkable video--(my wife happened to be walking by as I was playing it--she got pretty agitated and started saying "What is he doing--oh no oh no." Took a while to calm her down and explain what was going on.

paul c
paul c

Postby highnoonhunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:40 am

hnh
Last edited by highnoonhunter on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highnoonhunter

Postby harpmaker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 am

Out of curiosity, how does it sound after the paper is removed? It appeared that the paper was fairly stiff....did you laquer or apply airplane dope to it?

BTW, did you happen to record anything before the modification?
harpmaker
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Alanrichie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm

harpmaker wrote:Out of curiosity, how does it sound after the paper is removed? It appeared that the paper was fairly stiff....did you laquer or apply airplane dope to it?

BTW, did you happen to record anything before the modification?

I had similar thoughts . . . and reminded me of the Howie Mitchell experiments with various resonating materials . . .
Alanrichie

Postby Dave Sewell » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Interesting? Most certainly.

Surprising? No, not to me.

As I have maintained here in previous posts, IMO - the terms 'soundboard' and 'top' are synonomous in guitars and other instruments upon which there is a fixed bridge and string saddle - but on dulcimers and other instruments with a continuous staff - the back is more a soundboard than the top is.

That said, I agree with Harp in that it would be interesting to hear this same instrument played with it in the condition it was at the very end of the linked video.

Thanks!
Dave Sewell

Postby Thud » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 pm

This makes some sense, just based on possum boards and other things. If the back of the dulcimer is muffled, the sound is quieter -- if it's free, the sound is louder.

Could this be echo theory? It's not the things close to you that send sound back (as much), it's the far things. So on a dulcimer, it's not the top (which is closest to the strings) that matters as much, it's the bottom (like the far wall of a canyon).

Yours in pseudo-physics,
Last edited by Thud on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thud

Postby folkfan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Would you have had similar results if your bridge wasn't located at the tail piece, but 4 or 5 inches into the body of the dulcimer? As I understand it, the soundboard plays more of a role in sound production then than when the bridge is on the tail piece.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby mike1952 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm

It sounded pathetic even before I saw what it was (not the playing- the sound). It kind of sounded like something was missing. This was before I saw the joke at the end. It sounds terrible to me, like something's missing (duh). I can only comment as a player. It's up to you guys to analize it.

Mike
Last edited by mike1952 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mike1952

Next

Return to Making Dulcimers