want to move to a dulcimer-prone area

Who wants to chat and WHEN!

want to move to a dulcimer-prone area

Postby dwdanby » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

I just started playing the mountain dulcimer, and am currently in Seattle. There are no groups or jams - practically no players. I tried starting a Meetup group and one guitar player responded. I moved here after a divorce, my business is on the computer, I don't like big cities, and so I have decided to move by the end of the year. Asheville, NC is a place I've heard many good things about; no mosquitoes, for one. I grew up in Raleigh and didn't like it; couldn't stand the weather. Also, my fiance is African-American/Jamaican-American, and my 30-year-old memories of much of the South still raise a red safety flag. Smaller, but still there. So I'm not certain about Asheville; any input? Or input for anywhere else? Thanks!
dwdanby
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: want to move to a dulcimer-prone area

Postby Steve Smith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Well, you may have two misconceptions. One, we do have mosquitoes, but not very many. And two, times have changed, especially in Asheville. It's one of the most progressive towns in the South, and while not without its racial tensions, it's much more comfortable in that regard than even many northern cities I'm familiar with. (I grew up in Chicago and went to college in CT.)

The biggest problem I would think someone might have is that in much of Asheville it's become very expensive to live, whether buying or renting. Luckily, the less-expensive part of the city is also the most progressive, and so probably the part of town you'd want to live in, anyway!

And of course, we'd always love to have more dulcimer players in the area! But I do prefer to play sitting down rather than prone. (And I'm not know for my good jokes, either!)

- Steve
Steve Smith
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dwdanby » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02 am

You're still not known for 'em...

Sorry, just couldn't resist...

Sounds like there are not as many dulcimer players in Asheville as I thought? How many groups/concerts/teachers would I find? I'd really like a town where I couldn't spit without hitting a dulcimer player, and that should bring another apology - sorry - but you get my drift. I suppose the ideal town would be small but within 20-30 minutes of a large town with plenty of services. Does this describe any dulcimer-rich (I can't wait for your take on that) areas in the country where you canNOT fry an egg on the sidewalk? (Seen it.)

Thanks for your help,
Dinah
dwdanby
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby GWentland » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:10 am

What comes to mind is the Gatlinburg,Tn / Seiverville, Tn area. Lots of builders. Pickin' Porch. They even sell dulcimers at Dollywood. There are many Dulcimer festivals in easy driving distance.
GWentland

Postby strumelia » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 am

Have you considered the short move to Port Townsend? I hear there are many musicians there, and that it's a liberal sort of place.

Ashville is pretty hip, but very expensive now. It's a great little city, with TONS of music happenings. But... once you move out of the city into the surrounding areas (something many do to be able to buy cheaper houses), your fiance might not feel quite as comfortable. I hate to say that, but since you are asking... a musician friend of mine went through that experience themselves, and wound up selling their dream house in a neighboring town outside of Asheville and moving back right into Asheville itself again.
And yes, there are all kinds of people both welcoming and non-welcoming everywhere, no place is perfect. In general you might want to consider urban over rural.
strumelia

Postby Steve Smith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 am

dwdanby wrote:Sounds like there are not as many dulcimer players in Asheville as I thought? How many groups/concerts/teachers would I find?

When we moved here from Oklahoma 24 years ago we thought we'd find dulcimers everywhere, but it's not so. While people around here generally know what dulcimers are, that doesn't mean that everybody plays. Yes, there are more players and clubs than in other areas, but lots of those getting together tend to be retirees and/or folks from other areas who want to learn something new. (You could probably find lots of them in Florida, but that gets back to the whole eggs and sidewalks issue...)

It seems to me that the folks who may have grown up with dulcimers tend to treat it as a more personal thing, and don't make a big deal of going out and playing with folks they don't know or sharing it in concerts, etc. You'll find several teachers in the area (including truly local Don Pedi) and quite a few clubs and jams, but they're usually far enough apart to be safe from stray spittle!
Steve Smith

Postby Lois Hornbostel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 pm

dwdanby wrote:I just started playing the mountain dulcimer, and am currently in Seattle. There are no groups or jams - practically no players. I tried starting a Meetup group and one guitar player responded. I moved here after a divorce, my business is on the computer, I don't like big cities, and so I have decided to move by the end of the year. Asheville, NC is a place I've heard many good things about; no mosquitoes, for one. I grew up in Raleigh and didn't like it; couldn't stand the weather. Also, my fiance is African-American/Jamaican-American, and my 30-year-old memories of much of the South still raise a red safety flag. Smaller, but still there. So I'm not certain about Asheville; any input? Or input for anywhere else? Thanks!

Hi, dwdanby!

The Asheville, NC area is wonderful musically, artistically, scenically. I live about 65 mi. west of Asheville, and it's my shopping town. As far as mountain dulcimer activity, I think it's a great choice after living in this area for 23 years! There are two excellent dulcimer weeks just east (10-15 mi.) of Asheville in Swannanoa and Black Mountain. Check out the websites for each. Can't think of a better way for you to "sample" the Asheville area and dulcimer action there than to come to them.

DULCIMERVILLE, June 7-12, 2010, http://Dulcimerville.com
SWANNANOA DULCIMER WEEK, August 1-8, 2010, http://swangathering.com/Catalog/DU/sgdusched.html

(We always need more dulcimer players in the area.)

Lois Hornbostel
www.LoisHornbostel.com
http://Dulcimerville.com
www.DulcimerSessions.com
Lois Hornbostel

Postby Briansnyder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm

If you have a dulcimer, then you're in a dulcimer prone area. Now you must convince everone else.
Briansnyder
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dulciken » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Two responses:
First for staying in Seattle. Have you been in touch with Susan Howell?
http://www.seattledulcimer.com/ She seems to be local for where you are and I like what I have seem of her stuff.

As far as dulcimer places go have you considred moving back to Raleigh? I am helping to raise a bi-racial daughter there now. Also there are 2 or 3 dulcimer groups that meet every month in the triangle as well as a number of jams that are open to dulcimers.
dulciken
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Shape note singer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

Not living in a dulcimer prone area myself, I don't have much advice...
But perhaps checking out the club listings right here on this site would provide a geographic guide to " dulci-activity"
State by state :?:
Shape note singer
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby frtuck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:36 pm

You could move to Kentucky where the mountain dulcimer is the state instrument. :D
frtuck
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:52 pm

You folks know you are replying to a two year old thread, don't you?
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Next

Return to Chat Announcements