J. CAIN "VIOL DULCIMER"

All strummers welcome!

J. CAIN "VIOL DULCIMER"

Postby billhoward1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Several times I have caught a glimpse of the "Viol Dulcimer" built by J. Cain, of West Virginia. I have never been able to find a website, but did find a store on eBay (jcainmusicalinstruments), where other things are offered.

Whenever I have seen a photo of the "Viol", it has always caught my eye with a lot of interest. However, I never did find myself willing or able to pay the $800 it was listed at. One night I was prowling eBay, looking at the newly listed dulcimers, when a listing appeared offering a "Shop 2nd Viol", at a greatly reduced price. After seeing that the flaws were only imperfections in the finish, I decided I would buy it at the BIN price. When it arrived yesterday, I found that the flaws were indeed superficial, and the workmanship otherwise seems to be excellent. It cleaned up to be a real nice looking instrument. It is also a great-sounding instrument. It came tuned Gddd, and I have thus far tried it with different strings and tuned DAAA. It sounds good both ways, with a good strong bright voice, and good action. I've just begun to enjoy it, of course, and plan to try other tunings and strings to see just what it is capable of. Thought some of you might be interested in seeing it up close.

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... 0M%20CAIN/

Take care,
Bill :D :D :D :D :D
billhoward1
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: J. CAIN "VIOL DULCIMER"

Postby folkfan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:42 pm

An interesting looking instrument. It looks almost as if it should have a bow with it. Very pretty.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby billhoward1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:58 pm

And the good part is...I don't have to worry about putting the first scuff mark on it. I can pick it up and play it without dreading the first time I scratch it.
billhoward1

Postby kwl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Bill, that's a nice find. Glad you are enjoying the dulcimer.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Robin T » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Bill,
Thanks for posting the photos and your thoughts on the instrument. Although I've not been a regular eBay visitor for several months, I do remember offerings from this builder who's, I think, in WV.

folkfan mentioned a bow-- wonder how it'd sound bowed. . .

Your photos and descriptions of the many instruments that have passed through your hands are priceless, Bill. I'm guessing you've handled more instruments built by different luthiers who've worked in the last 40 or so years than anybody else on the planet. 8)

Enjoy the viol dulcimer!

Robin T
Robin T
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby southernmiss » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:30 pm

I can't see any flaws on the dulcimer in the photo, so they must really be superficial. It's a pretty instrument. I'd love to hear how it sounds.

Lee
southernmiss

Postby jamescain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Bill: So glad you are enjoying my creation! Very satisfied that it found a good home where it will be appreciated...J. Cain, Luthier
jamescain
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers