Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 6 February 2015

A dose of mountain dulcimer history throughout the year

Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 6 February 2015

Postby dbennett » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:54 am

Judy Klinkhammer (1941-2015) died in/near Mountain View, Arkansas.
In 1941 Judith McIntire was born in to a musical family in Janesville, Wisconsin.

In 1963, while still living in Wisconsin, Judy heard Howie Mitchell, Jean Ritchie and George & Gerry Armstrong playing dulcimers on a folk music radio program and her then engineer husband obtained plans for making a dulcimer and she learned on it by listening to dulcimer recordings. In 1964 she heard about and attended a folk music festival in Mountain View, Arkansas. In 1965 she moved permanently to the Mountain View area buying a 100-year-old cabin with no running water or electricity. She spent the rest of her life in Mountain View, Arkansas. On page 111, American Mountain People, Judy stated, "I love the mountain music because it's pretty and simple."

Many people credit Judy for introducing the dulcimer to that part of Arkansas in the early 60s. She later worked and sold dulcimers at the McSpadden Dulcimer Shop in Mountain View, Arkansas. In addition, she performed, wrote dulcimer books and taught dulcimer workshops.

Who Will Sing For Me -- In memory of Judy Klinkhammer

To hear the Hearts of the Dulcimer podcasts Parts I & II "Judy Klinkhammer: A Dulcimer Life", go to http://dulcimuse.com/podcast/resource/011-12.html
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Today In Mountain Dulcimer History: 6 February 2015

Postby dbennett » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 am

Klinkhammer Judy (6).jpg
dbennett
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Today in Mountain Dulcimer History