New Workshop-On-A-CD Available - "Take Me Home Country Road"

All strummers welcome!

New Workshop-On-A-CD Available - "Take Me Home Country Road"

Postby Tull » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am

Just wanted to let you all know about a new workshop/teaching CD packet I have available from my website, Eagle Creek Music.

“Take Me Home Country Roads” was written by husband and wife song writing team Bill Danoff and Mary “Taffy” Nivert, inspired by a trip to Taffy’s relatives on a route that took them along many small winding roads. They needed a state name with 4 syllables to fit the song’s meter, and settled on “West Virginia”. They demonstrated the song for John Denver while touring as his opening act, and together, they re-wrote some of the lyrics, and changed the harmonizations. They performed it together for the first time in 1970, and it became an immediate hit. It has since been recorded by such artists as Eddie Arnold, Loretta Lynn, Ray Charles, Olivia Newton-John, and Hawaiian ukulele master Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, but it remains Denver’s signature song. It was named one of West Virginia’s official state songs in 2014, and is also the theme song for West Virginia University.

This arrangement has 2-parts – the melody, and a harmony part. The 70-minute teaching CD is divided up into individual tracks covering small sections of each part in detail, looping entire parts, and culminating with a “play-along” track that combines both parts.

Here's a link to a sample clip of this 2-part mountain dulcimer arrangement.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the original version recorded by John Denver:

Here's a link to a video of a cover version of the tune recorded by musicians from all over world as part of the "Playing for Change" project:

For more details about the workshop packet, including ordering information, CLICK HERE.

Words and Music by JOHN DENVER, BILL DANOFF, AND TAFFY NIVERT
Copyright © 1971 CHERRY LANE MUSIC PUBLISHING, INC. Copyrights Renewed 1999
This arrangement Copyright © 2017 CHERRY LANE MUSIC PUBLISHING
All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.

--Tull
"Plays Well WIth Others"
Tull
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers