Recommendation for where to start

All strummers welcome!

Recommendation for where to start

Postby padlin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Folks
Can I get a recommendation on where to start learning to play the Dulimcer? a good book or website would help. I play the Uke, can read music somewhat and Tab, and know some theory.

Thanks
Bob
padlin
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Recommendation for where to start

Postby danc9 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Bob, there are a multitude of videos out there, I would just glean through several to get a feel for what is offered out there....

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Skip » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 pm

You might ask over on fotmd also.
Skip
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 am

There are many beginning dulcimer instruction books out there. It might be helpful to decide whether you want to play noter style or chord/melody style. Bing Futch has a good book: Method Book for Beginning Mountain Dulcimer. He also has a DVD: Getting Started With The Mountain Dulcimer. Another good book is First Lessons Dulcimer in DAD by Joyce Ochs. There are many folks who provide Internet lessons, Steve Eulberg, Stephen Seifert, etc.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby padlin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks folks.
padlin
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 am

Welcome Padlin -- I recommend you do some reading first, to see what is available and "happening" in our wonderful world. I recommend starting with my article here called I Just Got A Dulcimer, Now What. It's an illustrated glossary of dulcimer terms, plus answers to many beginner questions about tuning, playing, care and feeding for the beginner player:

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/files ... _hulme.pdf
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby bret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 pm

At the very beginning, I just found some TABs for simple songs. If you start by just playing the melody line, you can get going in a few minutes. If you've learned to play an instrument before, these songs are probably familiar, but Ode to Joy, Frere Jacques, Boil 'em Cabbage Down, Angels We Have Heard on High, Twinkle Twinkle Little Start are all pretty easy to play and only use the first 4-5 frets (assuming you're tuned to DAd). And since you probably know all these songs, knowing what the melody should sound like definitely helps

I played those for a bit to get some confidence and watched a lot of videos on Youtube.
bret
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers