Books of sheet music

All strummers welcome!

Books of sheet music

Postby DulciBob81 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:32 pm

There are lots of good free tabs on this and other websites. And, I am building a collection of learn to play instruction books. but can anybody recommend a good hard copy book of just sheet music? Especially hymnals or Christmas music. I figure it might save me on printer ink. It makes no difference to me if it's tab or standard notation, as I've learned how to read both.
DulciBob81
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Books of sheet music

Postby KenH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Join the Jam by Stephen Seifert. Available in DAA or DAd tab. Check the McSpadden site and the MelBay Online Catalogue for others.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Judy K » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:33 am

DulciBob81, you might look into the Fake Books. I saw The Christmas Fake Book, The Ultimate Christmas Fake Book, The Easy Christmas Fake Book, The Easy Hymn Book, and The Hymn Fake Book, plus others in a quick search. "Fake" books usually give the music in lead sheet form.
Judy K
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby DulciBob81 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am

KenH. Thanks for the suggestions sir. Yes, anything by Stephen Seifert would be good. Also just created an account on McSpadden's website. I knew them as Dulcimer builders, but didn't realize they had so many books on their website. My fault for not paying better attention before. I also found a "Dulcimer Song Book" book series by Thomas Balinger that looked pretty good.

Judy K. Thanks for the suggestion, but I use lead sheets for bass guitar at church, and it's not what I want for Dulcimer. I prefer playing melodies. I could try my hand at using lead sheets to figure out the melodies.

Was wondering if anybody else has any favorites they recommend. I like all kinds of music.
DulciBob81
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Judy K » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 am

DulciBob81, every lead sheet I've used has the melody written in standard music notation with chords above and lyrics below. But I've also never played bass. Hope you find what you are looking for. :-)
Judy K
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby DulciBob81 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks, Judy K. I have actually never looked at a fake book before. I didn't know they included standard notation. Will have to check some out. The lead sheets I use at church are just the song lyrics with the chord named above each line of the song, so they're really just for keeping rhythm.
I've found plenty of good books and now trying to narrow down my choices.
DulciBob81
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers