Gaudete - noter drone arrangement

If you put a video on the web, announce it here You can easily embed your Youtube or Vimeo videos into your post.

See this topic for more info on embedding videos into your posts!

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29333

Gaudete - noter drone arrangement

Postby Robin the Busker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

We were given Gaudete to sing at choir practice last night so I thought I'd sit down with the music this evening and work out a noter drone arrangement on dulcimer. This is a 3 part arrangement played on a McSpadden in C,c,G,A# tuning. Recorded on a Zoom H5 and mixed in Audacity.

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/xf96psp14 ... nov_17.mp3

Robin
Last edited by Robin the Busker on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robin the Busker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Gaudete - noter drone arrangement

Postby danc9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

...I think we are missing a link?

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9

Postby Robin the Busker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks Dan

Hopefully the link will work now.

Robin
Robin the Busker

Postby danc9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:37 am

Wow, just wow Robin, spot on!!!

DAN
www.dulcimore.com
danc9

Postby dholeton » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

Well done Robin.
Was the tuning arranged as A# for the melody string?

Dave
dholeton

Postby Robin the Busker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:43 am

Dave - The tuning was for 4 string equidistant with C bass drone, c middle drone, G middle drone and A# melody string. The arrangement follows the 3 part version published in Scandinavia in the year 1582:

Gaudete 1582.jpg

Robin
Robin the Busker

Postby dholeton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks Robin
I was intrigued and found this version.
http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f/fe/IMSLP229113-WIMA.2dbb-Gaudete-Christus-est-natus.pdf

Aside from it being in a different key, it has some relative note differences from the 1582 Scandinavian version.

I've researched some old tunes and found a variety of methods that were used for representing the notes on a staff in the original sheet music. The top two lines of the Scandinavian version have an interesting key signature. Maybe the clef is not a G clef or the clef is raised? My first take was the key signature just had a single D flat.

I'm wondering if the G# in the version I found is an error in translation or just a preference by the translator.

Dave
dholeton

Postby ronzuckerman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:39 am

Beautiful!

By the way, the proper spelling is Bb for the melody string, not A#.

Ron
ronzuckerman

Postby dholeton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 am

After thinking about it, I think the G clef might be raised to the third line. I heard it could be done in a music theory session a long time ago, but this may be the first time I have seen it in sheet music.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Robin the Busker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi Dave and Ron,

Many thanks for your posts.

Ron, I can see what you mean about calling the melody string Bb rather than A#, as I'm playing the relative minor of the major (ionian) key of Eb.

Dave, I do tend to transpose on the fly when I'm reading from SMN. I don't read the physical note names but work off the intervals and note durations, so the key something is written in doesn't matter as long as I know the root note of the key/mode. Also, I quite often don't actually know what physical tuning I'm in on the dulcimer until after I've finished playing/recording and then stick on a tuner to have a check! I tuned down to C aeolian for this piece simply to get a better timbre from the McSpadden I was using as I needed to work in the higher octave for some of the melody parts, giving the 8th fret as my root note. I also wanted more root note in the drones and my string gauges would easily give me a C,c option with that lower G 5th. I do spend time experimenting with different tunings and playing techniques when I pick up a new piece - just to get a good 'fit'. I tried 3 different dulcimers before I decided on the McSpadden and settled for a thumb strum to get a strong but rounded timbre for the melody.

I think that the major 7th at the end of the alternative piece you found was the writer's preference. It is all too easy to sing that interval as a semitone rather than a tone!!!

Robin
Robin the Busker

Postby dholeton » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks Robin
I experiment where the song fits on a dulcimer much the same way. I was doing fine from the first fret (regardless of the key or the dulcimer tuning, just minding the intervals) until trying to play that "relative" G# note in the modern version (that I found before you posted the Scandinavian version). It can be played on the middle string 2nd fret in a C G Bb tuning, but if I'm playing with a noter I avoid playing on the middle string. The Scandinavian version doesn't appear to have the same relative note, so I agree it is probably a preference that was added somewhere since 1582.
Dave
dholeton

Postby asterhunter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

That's a beautiful arrangement, thanks for sharing! I first heard Steeleye Span sing this ancient nativity carol in one of their albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc2FD-vy8M

David Elosser
asterhunter

Return to Links to Dulcimer Videos and Audio Files