Long Long Ago Tablature

All strummers welcome!

Long Long Ago Tablature

Postby dholeton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I found the way I play Long Long Ago might have some differences to the way others play it, so I made some tablature files and uploaded them here in the Tablature section. My version is inspired from the way I learned it in Michael Murphy's "The Appalachian Dulcimer Book".

I made versions in CGG, CGC, DAA, and DAD tunings. Listed are some notes.

For the CGG and DAA versions there is a 746+ chord. A 744 chord can be substituted if your dulcimer doesn't have a 6+ fret. Also, the melody in these tunings is entirely on the melody string(s) without any half frets.

For the CGC and DAD versions some notes are on the open middle string, so the tune can still be played with a noter without finding a way to fret the middle string. The rest of the melody is on the melody string(s) without any half frets.

All of the LISTEN files are played one time through with a noter and the second time through with chord/melody style.

The song was written by English composer Thomas Blayly in 1833. I've noticed the lyrics differ on some other versions I have seen. I think the versions I uploaded have most of Blayly's original lyrics. Wikipedia also indicates Glenn Miller borrowed some of the melody for his "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me".

About 10 years ago I made a multi-track recording/video (it's hard to believe 10 years have gone by and I sure look a lot younger in the video!).

Dave
dholeton
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: Long Long Ago Tablature

Postby dbennett » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Dave,

Been meaning to tell you I appreciate that you took the time to upload the tabs and mp3 files. I've downloaded both for DAA and DAD, though it is the DAA version I am particularly interested in.

BTW, they play this tune on the Beverly Hillbillies quite a bit.
dbennett

Postby dholeton » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks David
I have begun to make multiple tab files if I can make nice arrangements for DAA and DAD and/or other tunings. Once I have the basic tune in my music editor, it doesn't take long to add different dulcimer arrangements. Making the mp3 files is just plain fun.

I never noticed Long Long Ago on the Beverly Hillbillies. We get the program on one of our channels here at times, I'll have to watch for it.

Dave
dholeton

Postby Bob Gerard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm

This is a really nice video- thoroughly enjoyed your playing and singing !
Bob Gerard
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby dholeton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks Bob
I think the video has a few minor chords that are not in the tablature. The guitaro was probably my inspiration for minor chords.

One of my projects this summer will be to restore the guitaro. The original top warped (about 1/4 inch pine or ?) many years ago and I restored it with a sitka spruce top. Now, the sitka spruce top is warping downwards under the chord bars. I'll try to put some bracing under the top this time.

Dave
dholeton

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers