got hit by a 2 X 4

All strummers welcome!

Postby kwl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:25 am

Jerry, are you talking about the lyrics or the tune? The lyrics were written by Jimmy Driftwood in the 1940s. The tune is listed as a traditional fiddle tune in all the places I've looked.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Dulcimerist » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:24 am

Yep - Jimmy Driftwood wrote the lyrics, turning it into "Battle of New Orleans."

As for the instrumental tune "Eighth of January," it's public domain. When this song showed up as an instrumental on the soundtrack for the movie "Deliverance" in 1973, there was a bit of a stink over it since "Battle of New Orleans" was such a huge (and copyrighted) hit in the previous decade. However, the public domain of the original instrumental fiddle tune allowed the soundtrack to use it without having to pay royalties.

Here's a link to the "Deliverance" soundtrack on Amazon, and a short clip of "Eighth of January" on the banjo can be heard there:
http://www.amazon.com/Dueling-Banjos-Original-Soundtrack-Deliverance/dp/B000002KEL

I should be someone's Phone-a-Friend on that Millionaire TV show! :lol:
Dulcimerist
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Re: got hit by a 2 X 4

Postby witwoman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 am

Can you tell me how to get Les Scott’s arrangements. Long long ago I used to come up from Charleston and joined NGFA. Les helped me a lot and I had many of his handwritten arrangements which have gotten lost over the years. I look on dulcimer sites,but don’t see news about him.
Thanks,
Sandy
witwoman
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 am

Witwoman -- No one in this discussion is talking about Les Scott -- whoever that is/was. It is always better, and more polite, to start a new discussion than try to change the subject on an existing discussion. Other people may be interested in the answers to your question.

NGFA -- National Grain & Feed Association?
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am

Hello Sandy,

I am guessing that you mean NGFDA, North Georgia Foothills Dulcimer Association. There may be some members of the association who are members here who can help you, but as KenH suggested, a new discussion titled Les Scott's arrangements would enable more people to see your post and request. If you need help in creating a new discussion, please let me know and I can do it for you.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby madele1ne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:57 am

My recent "2x4" was to play/sing any song however I want. Make it my own - not necessarily how the original artist did it. They probably had the back-up band, special equipment, years of experience, etc, etc., and copying them is probably come out second best. Make it your own!! Might even be better than their version! Just my 2 cents worth :D Maddie
madele1ne
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby KenH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 am

Here's the most comprehensive history of the tune that I can find. The songwriter was probably the prolific A. Nony Mous :shock:

"The melody was originally named "Jackson’s Victory" after Andrew Jackson’s famous rout of the British at New Orleans on January, 8th, 1815. This victory, by a small, poorly equiped American army against eight thousand front-line British troops (some veterans of the Napoleonic Wars on the Continent), came after the peace treaty was signed and the War of 1812 ended, unbeknownst to the combatants. The victory made Jackson a national hero, and the anniversary of the Battle of New Orleans was widely celebrated with parties and dances during the nineteenth century, especially in the South. Around the time of the Civil War, some time after Jackson’s Presidency, his popular reputation suffered and “Jackson’s Victory” was renamed to delete mention of him by name, thus commemorating the battle and not the man. Despite its wide dissemination, Tom Carter (1975) says that some regard it as a relatively modern piece refashioned from an older tune named "Jake Gilly" (sometimes “Old Jake Gilly”). Not all agree—Tom Rankin (1985) suggests the fiddle tune may be older than the battle it commemorates, and that it seems American in origin, not having an obvious British antecedent, as do several older popular fiddle tunes in the United States."
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers