Hensley Dulcimers on eBay

All strummers welcome!

Hensley Dulcimers on eBay

Postby DulcimerBabs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi! There was a post recently about Hensley Dulcimers and the value for the cost, so I've been keeping an eye out for them. He posted three today (I bought one so now there are two). Unbelievable price - $155 buy-it-now. Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Crafted-Cherry ... _500wt_936

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Crafted-Cherry ... _500wt_936

Looks like there are "best offers" out on them.

Does anyone know any info about Rodney Hensley? I know he's in Kentucky, but does anyone know how long he's been building dulcimers, how many he's made, etc?

Thanks! Barbara
DulcimerBabs
Member (51-100 posts)

Re: Hensley Dulcimers on eBay

Postby billhoward1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 am

Information I have is that he worked with Warren May for about 4 years, learning his trade.
I bought my first Hensley about two years ago, but I don't know just how long he has been
building on his own. His work sure reflects the same attention to detail that Warren May
shows. Both build beautiful, good sounding instruments.

Bill :D :D :D :D :D

OOOPS....LOOKS LIKE ONLY ONE IS LEFT AT THIS TIME.
billhoward1
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby DulcimerBabs » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks Bill!
DulcimerBabs
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Gigi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:04 am

I was tempted but not sure about the wood pegs. I've read that it is difficult to keep the instrument in tune with wood pegs?? Hope you enjoy yours....I can now see why so many people have multiple instruments. I already have 2 and wish I had not sold my Ben Seymour even though I'll be getting one of his in a few months. Also want the Richard Beard that's on eBay. Think I'd better stay away from ebay!
Gigi
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby pyewacketsid » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Allow me to sing the joys of wooden peg tuners:

I'll say first off that they'd be a frustrating choice if you have hand tremors or arthritis to consider. But if not...

I started out with them (Warren May). Yes, you do a lot of back and forth "nope -- too far. Oops, too far the other way," until you get accustomed to how a little change goes a long way in a 1:1 ratio. You get to be an expert in itty-bitty adjustments getting the melody strings together, and yep, if your tapered peg isn't pushed tightly enough into the head, it may spin loose as soon as you let go (I've found Hensley's tuners more forgiving in this respect than May's, which was a pleasant surprise). Again, you learn pretty quickly to compensate and gauge the pressure needed.

But then, once you're used to them, tuning and re-tuning is so easy. The first time I got an instrument with geared tuners, I was excited to try them out, thinking that it would be easier to get a precise pitch. Well, not necessarily, and I suddenly realized why a lot of folks are reluctant to change tunings very often -- my gosh, it takes forever! You have to crank and crank and crank and CRANK -- what's the usual ratio on geared tuners, 16:1? No wonder people would rather buy a different dulcimer for every mode than re-tune, life is short!

(Well, it is a handy excuse for a new dulcimer, at that. But still.)

With friction pegs, you're at your target note in 1 or 2 cranks, and then you can fiddle with getting the pitch just right while everyone with geared tuners is still grinding away.

Plus, hand-carved wooden pegs are gorgeous. :) They're not for everyone, I know, but I love them.
pyewacketsid
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Gigi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:05 pm

Thank you! I agree, they are so lovely and suit the instrument much better than metal ones! I might have to buy the one remainiing Hensley on eBay. I am expecting another eBay dulcimer in the mail tomorrow! A Bob Thomason from GA. I have my original one that I bught at a craft fair on Craig's list now....but hate to part with it because it's so pretty! Maybe I'll just have a collection of dulcimers! Thank you for giving me such great information regarding the wooden pegs! I can't wait for my Hensley....off to eBay!!!
Gigi
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Gigi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Got it for $140. Can't wait! I'll eventually sell this and /or the other one I got on eBay once my Kudzu Patch is ready. Sure is fun now to have two to play...one with wood pegs!
Gigi
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers