EverythingDulcimer
Melody Farrand

Why do my strings buzz and twang?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this question for me.  I'm not sure why my strings buzz and twang while using the fingerpick method.  I feel like I'm applying enough pressure on the strings.  Help?

Are you using bare fingers or ?? Try picking fairly lightly a see if there is a buzz. Move up and down the fret board to try and locate a high fret. Picking too hard could be it also, especially on low actions [strings close too the fretboard]. A common method to check actipn is to slide a dime under the strings at the 1st fret and place a nickel on the top of the 7th fret. the coins should slide through the gap. 

Where are you fretting the strings? Are you close to the fret or in the middle of the space? That could cause bad contact with the fret depending on where you fingers press down that strings coupled with the string height.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

A video closeup showing you fingerpicking as we can see and hear what you're doing and when the buzzing/noise happens would be a good thing to post.  There are probably two dozen reasons strings can twang and buzz!!

my middle string (.013) (A) has a ring/buzz   when plucked strongly.  it does this when i pluck it it over the last fret or hollow. the fret board is dead flat. the frets are level. i am using gold evo frets.  i tried back filing the nut, changing wire gauge , i have built hundreds of dulcimers but this is driving me nuts.

2 hours ago, sensi3d said:

my middle string (.013) (A) has a ring/buzz   when plucked strongly.  it does this when i pluck it it over the last fret or hollow. the fret board is dead flat. the frets are level. i am using gold evo frets.  i tried back filing the nut, changing wire gauge , i have built hundreds of dulcimers but this is driving me nuts.

What does the crown on the frets look like?  Do they have a well rounded top with a single point of contact for the string or are they possibly a little flat?