EverythingDulcimer
dholeton

Dogwood Dulcimer

This was my second attempt at making a dulcimer from scratch.  It is very crude and there are many mistakes, but I like the way it plays.  I put heavy strings on it just for melody only playing and I keep it tuned EBG and on occasion change it to DAG, CGF, and other tunings where the melody string will be tuned to A, G, or F.  Attached are pictures and I also include an mp3 file so you can hear how it sounds.

Dave

IMG_2268 (2).JPG

Capture_00001.JPG

Capture_00002.JPG

Capture_00003.JPG

Capture_00004.JPG

For_Thy_Gracious_Blessing_CGF.mp3

Edited by dholeton

Dave, that's a good looking project. I like using the zither pins for tuning. It is a very simple design, but effective. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

This is my latest build. The back and sides are paduk. The top is western red cedar. The fret board is maple. The peg head and end piece are made of maple and walnut from scrap I had left over after making a laminated guitar neck. It is based on Scott Antes plan for dulcimer construction.

Ken

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KWL said:

Dave, that's a good looking project. I like using the zither pins for tuning. It is a very simple design, but effective. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Thanks Ken.  I forgot to mention that I built it back in 2011.  I just posted the information on it here so it would be here for posterity and so that something was posted in this topic.  I really like your latest build, too.  I purposely obtained a teardrop dulcimer years ago just so that it would provide some diversity among all the hourglass dulcimers at club meetings.  Your selections of wood really make your dulcimer stand out.  The peg head is over the top.

Dave