EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
LabMaestroPhD

Does anyone know about Jim Hamilton Dulcijos?

I have been interested in getting a banjo dulcimer hybrid and was wondering if anyone knew about Jim Hamilton Dulcijos? I found one for sale, but know nothing about that builder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if you have any suggestions on other banjo dulcimer hybrids (banjammer, banjomer, etc)

Thanks!!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome to the site.  I'm not familiar with that maker and I haven't seen one by them before.  Doing a little searching, the only thing I came up with is probably the same listing you're looking at.  There was also a reference to someone with that name starting a dulcimer club ~25-ish years ago but that was about all I could find.  It could be a one off / personal instrument that they built for themselves. 

I remember seeing a class last year for building this style of instrument, I think it was at the Black Mountain festival.  So it could be something like that as well.

I found pix of a couple of instruments by him, but he must not make/sell many since he has no website, no Facebook presence, and no presence on MeWe.  The instruments look good -- almost too good -- meaning it's strange that he has built such professional looking instruments but  no one seems to know him.  

There are several builders of banjimers/banjammers/dulcijos, notably Mike Clemmer from North Carolina, a well respected builder and player.  I've even built a couple myself.