EverythingDulcimer
Aaron Thaddeus

Needing help to identify this Dulcimer

Hi,

Hope you all are able to help me with this. I bought this Dulcimer about a year ago and have not been able to find out more information about it.

I looked inside the instrument and saw a repair business card from Mexico. I would love to get more information about the instrument, its history, whats missing and its worth.

Here are some images I took today. It did not come with hammers but I also know that some are not played with hammers. 

Here is a link to the image https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bjdwj_qQXZ_Tiw7A6KO66Io3MxpD7bnB/view?usp=sharing

Posted (edited)

The link you posted is just one image.  Can you give a better picture of the label?  I can make out the words "Salterios" and "Atlizaya"(?) which I would guess are the brand, model or manufacturer.  And then it says "Reproducion de ..." which means "Reproduction of ...".  I was thinking "Salterios" is somehow related to Psaltery and Google translate confirms that's the spanish word for psalteries.

I don't personally know much about hammered dulcimers, others will know more, but the label will likely be the most helpful thing to track down more info.

edit: Is what I'm think of as the label, actually the business card you mentioned?

Edited by Admin
add clarification

What you have is NOT a hammered dulcimer. It is a Salterio mexicano --  a Mexican 'plucked psaltery' with a very old history in that country.  It is played with ten fingerpicks and sounds absolutely wonderful. 

Many, many years ago (30+) at a dulcimer festival in Arizona, I had the great pleasure of meeting and hearing a young Mexican lady who at the time was their national champion player, along with her classical pianist husband.  She was phenomenal.  Their duets on piano and salterio were otherworldly!

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the Salterio:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salterio_(Mexico)

I agree it is a salterio and a fairly decent one considering the offset bridges. 3 strings per course, designed to be plucked or picked. However it is in the family of dulcimers, just as a cimbalom, yangqin are. In fact this salterio seems to have some cimbalom characteristics by isolating the lower bass strings and the upper treble. As such it can also be struck of the each course is tuned to the same note. Even the American HD can be picked using the back end of some hammers.