EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
dougl122

Hammered Dulcimer Value

Hello all,

I landed a hammered dulcimer a few years ago, and never got around to getting it in tune and learning to play. I have decided such a lovely instrument should be with somebody who will actually play it rather than collecting dust.

I'd like to sell it, but I don't know much about hammered dulcimers and this one appears to have no identifying information. Any thoughts on how to value it for selling?

Couldn't begin to guess without a lot of photos to judge by -- closeups of the pinblock side and tuning pin side, bridges, etc.  whole back. top and sides, etc.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post photos - looks like I needed to create an account first. Here are a few I took the other day, but I can get some closer and more detailed ones to add.

IMG_20200802_144726070.jpg

IMG_20200802_144809805.jpg

IMG_20200802_144708200.jpg

IMG_20200802_144713766.jpg

Posted (edited)

No maker's label when you look inside either sound hole?  Are the bottom or top made from plywood?   I don't immediately recognize the off-center sound holes arrangement; nor the fleurs de lys and round designs.  

Edited by NoterMan

It looks like a 15/14. How many courses (2 strings per course or more?) are there. The soundboard and peg boards look like the same wood, Closed bridges Use of delrin on the sides (not copper or metal)  and the bridges. The hammers are dual sided and appear heart shape and dark. Sound holes on one side is unusual. 

Decent looking one-off. Seems nicely done, but nothing special.  I'd probably start a selling price at $350-400 and see if you get any bites. 

It looks like a 15/14. How many courses (2 strings per course or more?) are there. The soundboard and peg boards look like the same wood, Closed bridges Use of delrin on the sides (not copper or metal)  and the bridges. The hammers are dual sided and appear heart shape and dark. Sound holes on one side is unusual. 

From the design I suspect the soundboard is laminated ply. Coloration and fleur de lis looks similar to an older Folkcraft kit. Although I don't know if they ever made a soundboard with two sound holes on the bass side. They did make a kit with a single sound hole on the bass side however which would have been the fleur de lis. Normally a sound hole is on the left and the right of the treble bridge. Since it is a kit, it would be easy to drill another circle hole which is what I suspect the builder did.