EverythingDulcimer
Carolina Rockman

How To Become A Better Dulcimer Player - 19 Finger Positions and Economy of Motion

How To Become A Better Dulcimer Player - Part - 19

Finger Positions and Economy of Motion

In my first article on “How to Become A Better Dulcimer Player - Part 1”, I briefly touched on the subject of finger positioning. A big impediment to smoother dulcimer playing is not using economy of motion and misplaced finger positioning. Are finger positions written in stone? Absolutely not; however, there are those combinations of finger positions that will result in economy of motion and smoother playing.

As stated before, our instrument usually does not have much sustain or volume. One way to counteract this is to attempt to leave one or more fingers down on the current melody note/chord while moving on to the next melody note/chord. This is not always possible; however, it will work a large percentage of the time.

I have attached a PDF file that I created using an example of the 1st fret on our instruments. You are essentially creating a barre chord with your index-middle-ring fingers to achieve your economy of motion. You then lift a finger or not and add your thumb to reach other notes. It is usually possible to reach up to the 4th fret with your thumb. The techniques are applicable at each fret as you move up the fret board of your instrument. If you are fortunate to have long fingers, you usually can move your index finger on the bass string 3 frets, i.e. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd frets. The same holds true as you move up the fret board. If you do not have long fingers, use your thumb on the bass string where indicated.

My example is by no means complete for every possible finger combination. It it but a starting point to improve your playing.

Finger Placement.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great   Downloaded it and it's coming off my printer right now!!!

Now to start once more     T H A N K S a Million

Bob E... 

Locked up in the New Forest of good old England !