EverythingDulcimer

Whats the best Capo?

I've mostly used Terry McCafferty's capos for the reasons you mention. They're well built and easy to take on and off. I've never had to fuss with them to get them to hold, they just work.

I've also heard a lot of good things about Ron Ewing's capos, but I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

Thanks.  I have a Ron Ewing and its nice but not the efficiency of a Bradley.  He has plastic at top instead of something softer pressing on the strings.  Couldnt get it to sit right.

But Ron's dulcimers are outstanding.

Like almost everything in the world of dulcimers, there really is no Best anything. let alone capes.  It's always a case of experimentation and what works best for you and your instruments. 

I've got 8 dulcimers right now and it would take probably 6 different capoes to make them work that way.  That's more than just a couple bucks, plus the hassle of remembering which capo works with with instrument, and remembering to take the appropriate capoes with me when I go playing out.

Truth be told, I just don't use capoes.  I tried, and it was more hassle than just  learning to retune one melody string in less than 30 seconds.

I've used both Ron Ewing's and Terry McCafferty's capos.  I actually prefer a brass one, The Walworth Mountain Dulcimer Capo,  I found at The Dulcimer Shoppe (which sells McSpadden dulcimers).  (Don't think the Bradley is available any longer.)  Here's the link:  https://www.mcspaddendulcimers.com/product/walworth-mountain-dulcimer-capo/

It costs a bit more but it stays tight and snug without any wrestling or fiddling with its adjustment. 

Edited by Nuthin Nu
Misspelling and needed another comment