EverythingDulcimer
dholeton

Dulcimer Playing Stands

Maybe we can use this topic to provide information on dulcimer playing stands. 

Here is some information on the stand that I use.

Attached is a crude picture of what I use for a dulcimer stand. It was made by someone in the Knoxville, TN, area many years ago. I'm not sure if the original builder is still around or not; no one who knew him way back when can remember him today. If you're up for building one yourself, it is just 4 oak boards with wooden dowels with the fabric shelf liner over the dowels.

The oak boards are 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch by 40 inches.

The dowels are 3/4 inch by 12 inches.

Holes are drilled in the oak boards for the dowels at 3 1/2 inches from the bottom, 19 1/2 inches from the bottom, and 38 1/2 inches from the bottom.

It works fine for me but since it is a 4 legged stand, it's not unusual for it to rock a little on some floors. I put my foot on the bottom right dowel to keep it steady while playing. You can search my videos on YouTube if you would like to see me using it. (Search for dholeton and Arkansas Traveler, Hold On, or Carol of the Bells. The videos don't show the entire stand but give an idea for how I use it).

Dave

DulcimerStand.jpg

Edited by dholeton

I forgot to mention the two screw eyelets and the chain that hold the dulcimer stand at the desired width and somehow I wasn't able to edit the post, so I'll add it here.

Dave

Dulcimer_Stand-1.jpg

• Like 1

Dave -- that's what I have, basically.  Mine is a restaurant waiter's table.  It has two straps to hold the cross at the right height and a couple of rubber O-rings on each upper arm that stop trays (or dulcimers) from sliding .  You can buy them from restaurant supply stores for around $25.

1 hour ago, NoterMan said:

Dave -- that's what I have, basically.  Mine is a restaurant waiter's table.  It has two straps to hold the cross at the right height and a couple of rubber O-rings on each upper arm that stop trays (or dulcimers) from sliding .  You can buy them from restaurant supply stores for around $25.

I have heard about the waiter's tables.  If you have a picture, would you post it here? 

Dave

This is the waiter's table that I use.  Set me back $23  at a local restaurant supply store -- same price as if I'd have ordered it on line and paid shipping...

Waiter-Tray-Stand-Wooden.jpg

• Like 2

I forgot to say that the waiters tables come in various heights.  I chose the tallest -- I think it was 30" -- because by the time I put even a 2" thick dulcimer on top, the strings were just about the right height for someone my height to play comfortably while  standing.  Someone shorter than say 5'10" might want to buy a shorter stand.  

• Like 1

Those are great stands, @dholeton and @NoterMan, and I'll show @Adrian. He has been wanting us to do more standing and playing. Last year we set up a Walmart ironing board to have a go at playing using a stand. It was actually okay! We probably needed more space in our set-up and more time to play around with it to become comfortable enough to perform with it......but don't be surprised if there's an ironing-board-dulcimer-stand video in our future posts! :classic_laugh: 

IMG_0384.jpeg

Ironing board is a great idea too!  If it were me, I'd replace that soft cloth cover  a thin layer of plywood -- we call it 1/8" door-skin.  The harder surface will vibrate and reflect sound where the cloth cover absorbs it -- even with Adrian's  Galax style instrument.

These are all great ideas!  Thank you so much!

Joining this community has been a wonderful experience for me.  I appreciate all the ideas and excellent information that has been provided!