EverythingDulcimer

I've owned several over the years.  Also 5 string and 4 string variations.  Can't say I've been really impressed with six strings. I've played 3 string traditional dulcimers for the last 25 years or so...

I have a six string dulcimer called a church dulcimer.  It has two strings close together for the melody and the rest are equidistant drones.  The extra strings can provide a lot of diversity, but I usually play it alone since the extra strings might clash with other instruments.  I also have a scheitholt with 9 strings and like the six-string dulcimer, I usually play it when I'm alone.

Dave

Church_Dulcimer_20150115_2.jpg

IMG_1638.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a Hughes Church dulcimer.  It has a good sound.  I was young and dumb around 1980 and obtained it as a kit with the intention of making a dulcimer that could play chords in multiple keys.  The strings were arranged in 3 courses.  Later, I decided I liked it with the strings according to Virgil's original design.  One of my to do projects is to redo the fretboard by converting it back to something closer to the original diatonic design.

Dave