EverythingDulcimer

10 minutes ago, Carla Maxwell said:

My husband and I are "Table Hill," and we will play at the Radio Springs Hotel, Lyonville, Vic, AU, tomorrow night at 6 pm. Come on down and sing along! 

Sounds like a fun time!  Would love to see some videos of you guys 😃

Carla, I'd try and make it to Radio Springs but I don't think I can get there and be back in time for our session next week!  (just kidding)  Thanks for starting this topic.  I think it's important for all of us to get out and play our music somewhere.

My friend Dean and I have been volunteering to play music once a month at an assisted living home.  It's about all we can do right now with our busy life schedules, but it helps us maintain some musical skill.  We play about 8 to 10 folk/old time/rock/country/classical/whatever songs and then we play 10 or more gospel/religious songs.  I like to say the residents tolerate us for the first half of our set, but they really come alive and sing along when we get to gospel songs.  I play dulcimer, guitar, bowed psaltery, and occasionally other instruments and Dean plays mandolin and guitar.  We sing on most of our songs, so I use the guitar the most in order to accompany the songs in keys within our vocal range.  I think we're more like song leaders than performers since we try to sings songs that the residents might know.  We've had some luck teaching them the refrains on some of the lesser known songs.

We'll be playing next Wednesday, February 5th, starting at 6:30 PM at Morning Pointe in Clinton.  We focus on special songs for each month, so we're including our Ground Hog song and all of our Sweetheart songs in this set.  If anybody lives nearby, you're welcome to attend and bring your instrument.  Here's our tentative set list and the instruments we play in each song.

Star of County Down - Dulcimer/Bowed Psaltery/Mandolin (my dulcimer and bowed psaltery are on stands, so I can switch from dulcimer to psaltery in between verses)
Happy Birthday - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Groundhog - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Fox The - Guitar/Mandolin
Fox on the Run - Guitar/Mandolin
I Love You Truly - Dulcimer/Guitar
Why I Love You Tell Me Why - Guitar/Mandolin
And I Love Her - Guitar
When I'm Sixty-Four - Guitar
Because - Guitar
Oh Mary Don't You Weep - Guitar/Mandolin
Go Down Moses - Guitar
Unclouded Day - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Open My Eyes Lord - Guitar
Pass Me Not - Guitar/Mandolin
Leave It There - Guitar/Mandolin
Lead Me Lord - Guitar/Mandolin
Beautiful Life - Guitar
I'll Fly Away - Guitar/Mandolin
Amazing Grace - Bowed Psaltery/Guitar/Mandolin (I can hold my guitar while playing bowed psaltery, so I start on psaltery and switch to guitar)
Irish Blessing - Guitar/Mandolin

Dave

15 hours ago, Admin said:

Sounds like a fun time!  Would love to see some videos of you guys 😃

There aren't too many videos of us out there, but here's one from a recent gig in Clarksdale at the Bluesberry Cafe. A friend recorded this live and posted it on Facebook. This was filmed during the Blues & Breakfast that is offered every weekend.

Midnight Special at Bluesberry Cafe

20 hours ago, dholeton said:

Carla, I'd try and make it to Radio Springs but I don't think I can get there and be back in time for our session next week!  (just kidding)  Thanks for starting this topic.  I think it's important for all of us to get out and play our music somewhere.

You're right about getting out to play. Performing in front of others improves many skills.

My friend Dean and I have been volunteering to play music once a month at an assisted living home.  It's about all we can do right now with our busy life schedules, but it helps us maintain some musical skill.  We play about 8 to 10 folk/old time/rock/country/classical/whatever songs and then we play 10 or more gospel/religious songs.  I like to say the residents tolerate us for the first half of our set, but they really come alive and sing along when we get to gospel songs.  I play dulcimer, guitar, bowed psaltery, and occasionally other instruments and Dean plays mandolin and guitar.  We sing on most of our songs, so I use the guitar the most in order to accompany the songs in keys within our vocal range.  I think we're more like song leaders than performers since we try to sings songs that the residents might know.  We've had some luck teaching them the refrains on some of the lesser known songs.

That's a wonderful thing to do! I have played in nursing homes and hospice situations in Tennessee. Some funny things have happened during those performances. During one performance, a nursing home resident came toward me from the back of the dining room to the stage area, picking up a vase of flowers on the way. He intended to hand them to me while I was playing, but a nurse/carer redirected him before he got all the way to me with the flowers. In another nursing home, as I was tuning my dulcimer and my band-mate was tuning his guitar before our performance started, a resident hollered out "how about playing in the same key?" :classic_laugh:

We'll be playing next Wednesday, February 5th, starting at 6:30 PM at Morning Pointe in Clinton.  We focus on special songs for each month, so we're including our Ground Hog song and all of our Sweetheart songs in this set.  If anybody lives nearby, you're welcome to attend and bring your instrument.  Here's our tentative set list and the instruments we play in each song.

Star of County Down - Dulcimer/Bowed Psaltery/Mandolin (my dulcimer and bowed psaltery are on stands, so I can switch from dulcimer to psaltery in between verses)
Happy Birthday - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Groundhog - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Fox The - Guitar/Mandolin
Fox on the Run - Guitar/Mandolin
I Love You Truly - Dulcimer/Guitar
Why I Love You Tell Me Why - Guitar/Mandolin
And I Love Her - Guitar
When I'm Sixty-Four - Guitar
Because - Guitar
Oh Mary Don't You Weep - Guitar/Mandolin
Go Down Moses - Guitar
Unclouded Day - Dulcimer/Mandolin
Open My Eyes Lord - Guitar
Pass Me Not - Guitar/Mandolin
Leave It There - Guitar/Mandolin
Lead Me Lord - Guitar/Mandolin
Beautiful Life - Guitar
I'll Fly Away - Guitar/Mandolin
Amazing Grace - Bowed Psaltery/Guitar/Mandolin (I can hold my guitar while playing bowed psaltery, so I start on psaltery and switch to guitar)
Irish Blessing - Guitar/Mandolin

Dave

You've got some great songs there! If I could get there and back before next week.....

I've had several different things happen at the home.  Often, the staff tends to leave us with the residents and sometimes they do exhibit some unusual behavior.  One time Stan was upset with Ernie for blocking the door with his wheel chair, so Stan got out of his wheel chair and started wailing on Ernie.  I put my guitar down as we were finishing A Beautiful Life and went to stand between them to stop the violence.  When I was early in my assisted living session experience, I was providing a short dissertation on our next song and one of the residents interrupted with "Are ya gonna play or are ya gonna sing?"  It really surprised me and it took me 3 or more songs before I could settle down.  Just recently (and I'm much more aware and flexible with behavior) we were playing music and one resident started wandering around.  She came up and stood next to us for a while, then she wandered behind us for a while, then she wandered off.  On one of our last songs she reappeared, she came up to my partner and decided to turn the page on his music binder.  We were singing a song we know pretty well, so he was able to get by until he wandered over near my music stand to finish the song.

Still, our involvement is great and after we finish each set we are lifted through all of our trials and tribulations for the next few days.

Dave

• Like 2
On 1/29/2020 at 4:40 PM, Carla Maxwell said:

There aren't too many videos of us out there, but here's one from a recent gig in Clarksdale at the Bluesberry Cafe. A friend recorded this live and posted it on Facebook. This was filmed during the Blues & Breakfast that is offered every weekend.

Midnight Special at Bluesberry Cafe

That was great, thanks for sharing it. You guys sound awesome!  I'm curious - what's the instrument your husband's playing?  It's got a plucky sound like a banjo. I actually thought there was someone off screen playing a banjo until I realized it was him. 😁

About four years ago, a friend of ours asked us to play with her at one of the senior assisted living communities.  We had been doing a little bit of playing at wineries so we decided to join her mostly as a favor to her.  It was wonderful.  The people were so appreciative and it was so gratifying

When she couldn't make another gig, we decided to play just ourselves.  Again, wonderful and we decided to see if we could get performances at more places. 

We play one or two days a week now (weekdays when I can take vacation and weekends).

We do an "eclectic' mix of old tunes they know ("My Blue Heaven"), songs that they might have heard (Travis Tritt's "I Wish I Didn't Know Now") and a few originals.  What we lack in raw musical skill, we make up for in the range of instruments we play (HD, MD, guitars, banjo, ukekele, mandolin) and interacting with the audience.

We are known as AllanEve

Edited by gscratchhd
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Admin said:

That was great, thanks for sharing it. You guys sound awesome!  I'm curious - what's the instrument your husband's playing?  It's got a plucky sound like a banjo. I actually thought there was someone off screen playing a banjo until I realized it was him. 😁

That's a McNally Strumstick, and yes he does make it sound like a banjo! :classic_laugh:  I'm glad you liked the video/music, thank you!