EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
KWL

My Latest Build

A luthier friend of mine purchased some paduk (an African wood) to build a couple of guitars. He had some scraps leftover which I told him would be enough to make the back and sides of dulcimer. He also told me that it was difficult to bend, so I decided to make a teardrop dulcimer. I also decided to make a guitar-style peg head which is the first time I ever did this. e are some photos of the dulcimer.

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

hat looks great Ken!  That Paduak is really nice, and that peghead is outstanding.  Nice work!.  Padauk can be hard to bend when thin because it is often brittle.  What is the top?  Cherry?

The top is western red cedar which I purchased from a lumber yard many years ago (Hechinger's) which had stores in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I was looking through some fence uprights and saw two pieces that were quarter sawn so I bought them. They stood upright in my garage for over 38 years. When I decided to make this dulcimer, I took a look at these. I resewed them at my friends shop and have enough wood to make at least 8 dulcimer tops.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Thank you Claudia. Post some photos of your build as you move along.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."