EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
dholeton

Irish Songs

Will you be playing any Irish songs around March 17th?  There are several Irish songs in the Tablature section here.  I'll be polishing up "Catherine Martin", "Down By The Salley Gardens", and "Saint Patrick's Day In the Morning".

Dave

I play Irish and other Celtic music all year around.  Have more than a dozen Celtic tunes in my repertoire, including on the Irish side: Foggy Dew, Black Velvet Band, Wind That Shakes The Barley, Roddy McCorley, Banks of the Ban, and Risin' of the Moon.  I'll be playing at a local Irish pub on the 17th.

I started working on Rosin the Bow/Beau yesterday.  It's just coincidence on the timing, but we'll say it's for St. Patrick's day 😃

I'll take a look at some of the other songs mentioned and see if there's some simple arrangements that would be easy to pick up. 

For people who are looking for simple arrangements, most of the Irish songs with lyrics are usually played slower and might be easier to learn in a short time.  There are some other tunes that are played slow that might also be good ones to learn.  "Southwind" is usually played as an instrumental but I learned today that some claim it has lyrics.  It is usually not played very fast.  If you remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosemite Sam rigged the piano to explode when Bugs played a certain note in the melody (which Bugs always played the wrong note), that song is "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms".  There are a couple of versions of "Southwind in the Tablature section here. 

Lyrics to Southwind

There isn't a copy of "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms" yet, so I'll leave a pdf file and a video link here.

Dave

Believe_Me_If_All_Those_Endearing_Young_Charms.pdf

Nice recording.  I've heard Rosin played at that speed a lot, and play it nearly that fast myself.  An Irish "wake song" isn't a dirge.  But it's not a fast fiddle tune, either!   The Parting Glass, on the other hand is nearly a dirge, and best sung a capella rather than being accompanied by anything.

That's a nice recording and though the recording is a little fast, I could still sing the lyrics to it.  I refer to songs as being played in "singing speed" when the song has vocals.  We play/sing Rosin The Beau at singing speed.

Dave