EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
Carl Wagoner

Considering Enrolling in MtnDulcAtoZ should I?

Does anyone in here have any experience with Stephen Seiferts Mountaindulcimeratoz package? I guess I'm an intermediate player. I know SS is a highly regarded clinician and wonderful player. I have never 'learned' by video and don't know if $20/month would be worth it. Advise me please.

I haven't used his online classes, but I have taken a couple of his workshops and his in person 3-day intensive class.  It looks like mountaindulcimeratoz.com is an online version of his current 4-day class.  My understanding is his 4 day class is the 3-day intensive plus a day added for beginners to cover everyone.

As you say he's a wonderful player and a great teacher.  He has some instructional videos and sample lesson on his Youtube channel that might give you an idea of his teaching style.  A nice thing about video is you can watch it as many times as you want to go over bits you're working on 🙂  He suggested we record the intensives and I made audio recordings of all three days.  It's helpful to go back and listen when I'm working on a skill and video would be even better.

This is the video he did for his 3-day intensive.  It would probably give a good idea of what he'll cover in the online lessons.  If you take the plunge let us know what you think!

Yup I took the plunge! As I reported in another forum, "best $20 I've spent." I'm still fairly new to the Dulcimer World (I'm not sure why it took me so long to find my way here) but I have played the guitar for years, as well as piano, and received quite a bit of formal training. I say this just to indicate that I've had enough formal training in music to know that the phrase I've heard tossed about a lot in the dulcimer world that goes "just play the damn thing," while it might work, usually (never) works as well as having someone who knows what they're doing teach you how to play the damn thing. It is quickly obvious that he would be a perfect clinician. In three short hours this afternoon Seifert's teaching made many things much easier, just by making slight adjustments to my 'self taught' ways. I know nothing of his bio, but I'm pretty sure the guy has to be a well schooled musician. His approach is logical and linear, and true to the billing, that series would accommodate just about any level of player, from someone who knew almost nothing about music in any way to....well I haven't seen it to the end but I expect he'll go a lot farther up the ladder than I will ever climb. Thanks to Covid19 and Mr. Seifert, I'm probably gonna come out my current 'house arrest' fatter, hairier, and a pretty fair dulcimerizer.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of dulcimer!

Glad to hear that Stephen's class is working out for you.  I've not done any classes on-line, since I play traditionally not modern chord melody, and there has been nothing available.  I learned to play 40+ years ago when there weren't any other players with a couple hundred miles.  It was more than 10 years before I even was able to attend a festival, and that's where I met Stephen the first time, along with Robert Force, Aubrey Atwater and a number of other dulcimer icons.