EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
Fiddler

Recommendations for dulcimer?

It depends on your definition of "nice" I guess. An entry level McSpadden dulcimer costs around $500 and a Folkcraft around $700. You can purchase instruments from individual builders for a lot less which are as good or better than the big companies. I would avoid the inexpensive dulcimers made in Eastern Europe or Asia unless you have the skill to tweak them in to playing shape.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

17 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Recommendations for dulcimer? How much should one expect to pay for a nice dulcimer.

I was asking the same question a couple years ago.  It's hard to find good info on all the different builders. There's a lot out there and the price range varies by builder, features, and how fancy the instrument is.  Prussia Valley's store page can give you an idea of some of the different makers/prices.  This is just a starting point for you to browse and get some information:

http://prussiavalley.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

I'd spend some time searching and looking at different shops/builders to see what suits you.  In general, features like ebony fret boards or fancy/exotic woods are options that will tend to push the price of an instrument up.

You might also take a look at the builder's page.  It's in development and the info on the page is incomplete/just for testing, but the ones on there currently are actual shops and builders:

https://everythingdulcimer.com/builders.php