EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
dholeton

What is a baritone mountain dulcimer?

Another question: What is a baritone mountain dulcimer?

A baritone mountain dulcimer is usually a larger dulcimer with strings that are heavier (larger in diameter) than regular dulcimers.  The heavier strings allow the baritone dulcimer to be tuned lower, most often to AEA tuning.  With the heavier strings on the baritone dulcimer, it most likely can't be tuned to DAA or DAD without breaking strings.

Dave

The bracing inside a baritone dulcimer is different than a standard one. The length of the strings is also different. This allows the tuning to AEA; however, it can also be tuned to DAD without much fear of breaking the strings. I use the following strings on my baritone dulcimer: .014, .022W, .036W(the W is wound). I have been playing my baritone for 15 years and have not broken a string (yet). I would give this caveat: A baritone dulcimer can be overwhelming among just a few dulcimers. It is normally an ensemble instrument, although some songs lend themselves to a baritone solo.

Carolina

Thanks for the update.  I was basing my string breaking remark based on my experience trying to tune the melody strings on one of my dulcimers to d.  It probably has a shorter VSL than a baritone and I use .016 strings on the melody strings.  I built it just to improve the sound where the melody strings are tuned to G or lower notes.

Dave