EverythingDulcimer
Sign in to follow this  
vlampert

Hammered Dulcimer Replacement Strings

Can anyone tell me where I can get replacement strings for my hammered dulcimer?  I found a few sites that sell replacement strings, but none that match the ones on the string chart that came with my hammered dulcimer.  Specifically, I'm looking for a 0.024" (#10 Brass) and a 0.027" (#11 Brass) string.  The string chart specifically says the string material for these strings are German brass, although I'm sure it doesn't have to be German.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Since Folkcraft Is not longer building hammered dulcimers they are selling out their brass string wire. As Dave says, check the website to see what is available. If you can't find the size you need, wound strings can be substituted.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Thanks guys for the help.  Is it ok if I replace the 0.027" string with a 0.026" or 0.028" string?  I can't find the 0.027" string anywhere.

Yes. Either one will do. The 0.026 will be a little tighter and the 0.028 will be a little looser.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

I just had Rick Thum replace about one third of the strings on my fifteen-y.o. 17/17 Professional.

He said that he orders strings directly from a manufacturer.  He is willing to sell sets to his customers.

You might contact the manufacturer and see if they will sell you a set - warning: they ain't gonna be cheap

I've also bought individual strings from Just Strings, but I don't know that they will have the brass in the gauges that you need